New to iPhone & iMore

MilliwaysPub

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I've been a long time Android user and spent a bit of time with Windows Phone recently. Android was a great experience but Windows Phone was horrible. Anyway, I went to get a new phone and had planned on grabbing the LG G3 but walked out with the iPhone 6. Never been a big fan until now and I absolutely love it.

Any tips, must download apps, etc that would be helpful for a new iPhone user would be much appreciated. Thank you.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to both iOS and iMore!!! There are loads of people here who can help you.
Browse through the forums and if there are specific questions, just ask!
Welcome!!!

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6

rdubmu

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I am surprised you disliked windows phone. I find the UI the best out of all three platforms and android to be by far the worst. The only thing I dislike about windows phone is the app gap

MilliwaysPub

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
Curious what was it about the iPhone 6 that drew you away from your intended of the LG G3?

Honestly the biggest thing was the size of the phone. And the buttons on the back of the G3. When I picked up the new iPhone it just felt right. Loved the curved edges. The G3 just seemed awkward.

I am surprised you disliked windows phone. I find the UI the best out of all three platforms and android to be by far the worst. The only thing I dislike about windows phone is the app gap

Honestly the UI itself on the Windows Phone is incredible. The OS is great. But the Windows Store is horrible. I felt like I was constantly settling for apps that just barely did their job. Although there were some amazing third party developers. I did see huge progress with the 8.1 update and thought it took a huge step forward. But it still lags behind iOS and Android by a large margin, IMO, and I don't see it catching up.

Ill be honest....I never did like the iPhone. I thought the phones were uncomfortable to use and iOS was restrictive. I think they did a great job with the iPhone 6. I have been pleasantly surprised. So far the only issue has been syncing some of my music to the phone.

MilliwaysPub

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
On a side note....I just wrote a lengthy reply to a question in one of the forums and after hitting reply nothing happened. the post wasn't there. Is there some sort of restriction for new users?

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
On a side note....I just wrote a lengthy reply to a question in one of the forums and after hitting reply nothing happened. the post wasn't there. Is there some sort of restriction for new users?

Some posts are randomly put into moderation to be reviewed by a Moderator. I just took a look at it and it is fine now. Enjoy your stay here. :)

pararigger

Sep 17, 2014
Visit site
Honestly the UI itself on the Windows Phone is incredible. The OS is great. But the Windows Store is horrible. I felt like I was constantly settling for apps that just barely did their job. Although there were some amazing third party developers. I did see huge progress with the 8.1 update and thought it took a huge step forward. But it still lags behind iOS and Android by a large margin, IMO, and I don't see it catching up.

Ill be honest....I never did like the iPhone. I thought the phones were uncomfortable to use and iOS was restrictive. I think they did a great job with the iPhone 6. I have been pleasantly surprised. So far the only issue has been syncing some of my music to the phone.

Hey, welcome! I'm new here too, and still using my Lumia 1520 until my 6 Plus arrives. I hear ya on the Windows Phone, I absolutely love the UI and OS but the apps situation is getting ridiculous.

I'm a bit of a phone OS jumper, I've had 'em all and enjoy parts of each one. I'm pretty excited to see what apple has done since I had my 4S.

Cheers, and always know where your towel is. 👍

MilliwaysPub

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
Hey, welcome! I'm new here too, and still using my Lumia 1520 until my 6 Plus arrives. I hear ya on the Windows Phone, I absolutely love the UI and OS but the apps situation is getting ridiculous.

I'm a bit of a phone OS jumper, I've had 'em all and enjoy parts of each one. I'm pretty excited to see what apple has done since I had my 4S.

Cheers, and always know where your towel is. ��

The sad thing about Windows Phone is that it does really have a lot of potential. Its smooth and IMO very intuitive. But its the lack of quality app's that will keep it from being a true contender. Such a shame too. My Lumia 1020 was an amazing device when it came to hardware.

I've been a bit of an OS jumper as well.Started with the HTC Tilt running Windows Mobile. Then to Android, a brief stint where I borrowed my sisters old iPhone (don't remember which one), Windows Phone, back to Android and now iOS. Its been an interesting ride.

Its depressing knowing how few people know about Douglas Adams and his amazing work. I got a Don't Panic tattoo on my arm awhile back and I am constantly having to explain what it is. So sad. And yes, always know where your towel is. Nothing can stop you as long as you have your towel.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I would like to extend a heartfelt welcome to all of you who are new to iMore!! I hope you enjoy your new devices as much as I enjoy my 6. Glad to have you all here and be sure to ask any questions and participate in discussions whenever you please!

MilliwaysPub

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
Wasn't sure where to put this so I figured i'd ask here.

When it comes to updates for the iPhone are they carrier specific? I know with my Android devices on Android I had to wait for ATT to process the updates and they were usually quite a bit behind.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Wasn't sure where to put this so I figured i'd ask here.

When it comes to updates for the iPhone are they carrier specific? I know with my Android devices on Android I had to wait for ATT to process the updates and they were usually quite a bit behind.
Welcome to iMore! No, they are not carrier specific. Apple sends out notifications and it appears in your settings>General>Software Updates.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73