New to iPhone from Blackberry

NBeezy

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I am brand spanking new to the iOS world. I came over from owning a Blackberry for the past 7 years. My most recent phone was a Z10 and now I have a 16GB 5S. I decided to swap due to certain apps used for work, banking, fitness, music apps and because companies make just about everything for Apple. There are entire sections of stores devoted to Apple products and accessories. Everything I had to purchase for my Blackberry was either from Amazon or from the Blackberry site. I still love Blackberry, but they are needing to do more to keep up with consumers.

The setup on the iPhone has been pretty simple. I have already created an email account on iCloud that I am using to back up my contacts, calendar events along with other things. I set up iPhone finder and have downloaded the apps I needed for work. So far everything has been going smoothly. I do like the current size of the iPhone. It isn't that much smaller then the Z10 which I felt was a perfect size. I hope Apple keeps the 4 inch size as well a larger size when they come out with the 6 model instead of forcing everyone to go to a phablet. To me the current size fits better in pockets.

The camera on this phone is VERY good. It takes better pictures then my wife's S5.I also love how the photo gallery is set up and organizes the pictures from locations or dates. I wasn't a huge fan of the finger print scan on the home button at first but it has grown on my very quickly. I like the fact that all I have to do is touch the home button and phone unlocks and it bypasses having to input my password every time when I download an app. The screen is very vivid. The battery life is equal to what I was getting on my Z10 (4:30am to 7pm with 20-30% remaining). Siri is a huge improvement over what's on the Z10, but it isn't as smart as Google IMO. iOS 7 interface isn't as bad as what I've been reading reviews on (cartoonish). Once you change the wallpaper its easier on the eyes. The quick setting option from when you slide your finger from the bottom up is a nice touch. I just wish it was customizable as on the Z10 and you could add what settings you'd want to change on it. The lighting port is a good touch as far as not having to know which end is up and down, just slide it in and done. The build quality feels as one of the best.

iOS 7 is very simple to use and navigate around. The only thing I had trouble looking for was the battery % display option, but after some searching I was able to locate it.

My grips about the iPhone deal with how the email is set up. I can not get the keyboard to minimize. I also can not add attachments from when creating an email. I have to basically cut and paste the entire email, then go into what I want attached, hit the share icon and paste the entire email to it, hit send (WAY TO MANY STEPS). I have not figured out how to send separate attachments (picture and document) in a single email. This can just be user error, but if anyone can help with that I'd greatly appreciate it. Not being able to do this simple task to me is HUGE. This was a snap on the Z10.

I miss not having NFC. I loved sharing anything with anyone who had NFC with just a touch of the phones. I miss not being able to pay for items using my phone anymore as well. Almost the entire world uses NFC and Apple has yet to implement it to its phones. I read about some beacon thing that Apple is working on that uses Bluetooth I believe, but it isn't close to NFC. A co-worker had mentioned something about a case that allows iPhone to be used as a mobile wallet, but they couldn't remember the name of it. I searched around and found ISIS as a replacement but need to do some more research on it.

IMO the home button is a negative. This maybe because all I had to do was swipe on the Z10 and it became second nature to open, move from app to app and close them out fully in a second. I don't really like having to click the home button to get out of an app, double click to get apps running in the background and then swipe them closed (again to many steps).

If Apple would buy out Blackberry and implement some of their new UI (10.2) into iOS it would be the ultimate phone. In the mean time I am happy with the swap after 2 weeks into iOS. If Blackberry would get off their a** and get onto developing better native apps then I'd swap back. :rotfl:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
[NOTE]Moved to the introductions thread[/NOTE]

Welcome to iMore, and thank you for introducing yourself as well as your analysis of the mentioned devices. Feel free to peruse the forums and assist members accordingly and thanks again for joining the iMore family...:)

anon(73368)

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to imore! To insert attachments you just hold down the screen where you want to put a attachment and a black bar hit the arrow next to paste and click insert photo or video. Also to take a screen shot you just hold the home and sleep button at the same
Time. Hope that works for you.

serglb

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Okay.. Usually to minimize the keyboard you would just slide down above the keyboard.

Documents cannot be shared via email natively*; only pictures & videos (some).

Something similar to NFC is Airdrop BUT it only works with iPhones (I believe the iPhone 5 & up).

Sent from my Gold iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Quite an intro but you will find out that most of is came from the world of BB but what counts is where you are now. Welcome to iMore and you will and enjoy yourself as there Is so. Uh to do. Good luck and we are glad to have you.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm still in the world of BlackBerry but I do think you can't go wrong with an iPhone. I've got a Z10 and 5c as my daily drivers.

Welcome to iMore and enjoy yourself here!

Sent from the Berry using Tapatalk.

nason54

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Hey welcome! I too jumped from blackberry to iPhone. I do however still miss the keyboard from the BB 9930 but I love my iPhone all the more.

Well welcome again! I too am new here so yea😄

📱Fan

drewood66

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Some of the problems and user experience issues you're having are things iphone just doesn't do as well or as fluently as BlackBerry 10. These iphone users came over from BBO7 years ago and haven't experienced the fluidity/convenience of BB10 so they don't know what you're talking about. It sounds like you may just need to go back to that which you stated does it best! BlackBerry10!

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Some of the problems and user experience issues you're having are things iphone just doesn't do as well or as fluently as BlackBerry 10. These iphone users came over from BBO7 years ago and haven't experienced the fluidity/convenience of BB10 so they don't know what you're talking about. It sounds like you may just need to go back to that which you stated does it best! BlackBerry10!

That's terrible, I wouldn't wish bb10 on anyone. Lately, I have been seeing bb10 users switch to the iPhone,

Regarding bbos users, I can't remember the last time I saw someone with a bbos phone.
Aren't they down to just 10 million users?
They had a peak of 80 million bbos users back in 2012.

Ps:
We know for a fact bb has managed to ship about 5 million bb10 phones in total,

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
That's terrible, I wouldn't wish bb10 on anyone. Lately, I have been seeing bb10 users switch to the iPhone,

Regarding bbos users, I can't remember the last time I saw someone with a bbos phone.
Aren't they down to just 10 million users?
They had a peak of 80 million bbos users back in 2012.

Ps:
We know for a fact bb has managed to ship about 5 million bb10 phones in total,

It's not all that bad. Haha.

Sent from the one in beautiful blue using Tapatalk.

Coachbulldog

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
If Apple would buy out Blackberry and implement some of their new UI (10.2) into iOS it would be the ultimate phone. In the mean time I am happy with the swap after 2 weeks into iOS. If Blackberry would get off their a** and get onto developing better native apps then I'd swap back. :rotfl:

Welcome to iMore. As a previous poster, many of us here are former BlackBerry users. At one time, I was the ultimate defender of BlackBerry phones. But as time passed, and it became clear the iPhone offered significantly more, I made the switch and have never looked back.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox