Is an Android guy welcome in here?

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
:D DD, 5 speed and rolled over 200k last week...still running perfectly.

http://i.imgur.com/J3P6ZHS.jpg

Looks like it's in great shape! I figure I should post at least a couple of mine...
DSC00889a.jpg

With autocross/solo livery (my wife is in the driver's seat)...
IMG_1056a.JPG

I'll post more (and some video) if anyone cares. :)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I think me and you just became BFF's...lol! Is it a true SH?

I haven't auto crossed or tracked any of my cars since I sold my E46 last year and bought a truck, but I do sorely miss it...and get to watch my brother race his spec M3 occasionally (which really does nothing but make me miss tracking more, lol).

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I think me and you just became BFF's...lol! Is it a true SH?

I haven't auto crossed or tracked any of my cars since I sold my E46 last year and bought a truck, but I do sorely miss it...and get to watch my brother race his spec M3 occasionally (which really does nothing but make me miss tracking more, lol).

Yes, it is a Type SH. :) The FGP color they only had it for one model year (1999). I think you're my new BFF since you mentioned you had a E46. :D I used to co-drive with a friend that had an E46. It didn't last long as he got mad that I kept beating him in his own car. :p

Here's a larger version of my avatar pic. Mugen exhaust and Progress adjustable rear sway bar can be seen underneath the underbody lip.
143-4346_IMG.jpg

Old video of me launching. I love hearing the exhaust. :)
http://hacstl.com/james/127-2766_MVI.AVI

There's a few vids of me or my wife competing in the car on an autocross or roadcourse on YouTube, and even one of me spinning out (in-car video) at a roadcourse (Hallett).

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Awesome pics and it looks mint! I searched for an SH but I couldn't find any that were decent deals (and most were ragged out). I was just happy I was able to find a 5-speed, lol. And you know what's awesome with that video, you obviously have an exhaust, but I could clearly hear the intake over it, which is amazing (given the typical Honda bean can rasp that comes with pretty much any aftermarket exhaust).

The E46 was a 2003 M3 (Laguna Seca Blue)...I spent a lot of money on it and took it to several auto crosses in the atlanta area as well as Road Atlanta and Atlanta Motorsports Park several times. It was really a great car, and looked awesome with my non-track wheels (pictured) but I got the itch to buy an off-road vehicle, and sold it and bought a Raptor, lol. That truck sits in my garage about 95% of the time now...hoping to sell it this winter and get back to something more my style...

Here was my M3...

397830007.jpg

397830019.jpg

...and my truck, that is a ton of fun, but doesn't serve me well, lol...I think the fact that the payments are so high makes me afraid to actually do anything with it, haha... ;)

13364d1327363963-what-do-you-drive-dscn1603_edited-1.jpg

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Sean, that M3 was really clean, and I liked that color vs. the typical silver, black, or even red. I can't comment on your truck as I'm not into trucks that much. :p

I got my SH brand new (a birthday gift to myself) and got the modding (and racing) bug about a year after I got it. My Prelude is actually down now (rebuilding the motor), so it's sad that I walk past it in the garage just sitting there. :( I considered selling it and the parts for another sporty car, but this one has had alot of sentimental value to me, and it's one less car payment to make...I have a Honda Pilot (wife's) and Mitsubishi Galant (my boring but cheap DD) as my other cars. Between that, the house (I think of home improvements like I think of modding a car...a money pit!), the wifey, and two young kids that are into multiple activities, my budget can only go so far. *sigh*

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Sean, that M3 was really clean, and I liked that color vs. the typical silver, black, or even red. I can't comment on your truck as I'm not into trucks that much. :p

I got my SH brand new (a birthday gift to myself) and got the modding (and racing) bug about a year after I got it. My Prelude is actually down now (rebuilding the motor), so it's sad that I walk past it in the garage just sitting there. :( I considered selling it and the parts for another sporty car, but this one has had alot of sentimental value to me, and it's one less car payment to make...I have a Honda Pilot (wife's) and Mitsubishi Galant (my boring but cheap DD) as my other cars. Between that, the house (I think of home improvements like I think of modding a car...a money pit!), the wifey, and two young kids that are into multiple activities, my budget can only go so far. *sigh*

Totally understand...after I took that truck out and blew two of the tires off roading (about $900 for two tires from a "hook up", lol), I was kind of done too. No kids but I'm not rolling in cash either, LOL!

What happened with the motor? Mine burns an extreme amount of oil (no smoke, just burns it like most Honda VTEC motors), and I was thinking I might tear it down one day and rebuild it (probably upgrade while I'm in there, but haven't felt the real need just yet).

And trust me, I can understand your love for the Prelude, I haven't even had mine a full year yet, and have had decent offers to sell it several times, but something about it...it has a soul to it, and I've grown attached to it more than really any other car that I've ever had (for the price anyways). I consider it one of the last real "golden era" Hondas, so it has that going for it as well.

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
What happened with the motor? Mine burns an extreme amount of oil (no smoke, just burns it like most Honda VTEC motors), and I was thinking I might tear it down one day and rebuild it (probably upgrade while I'm in there, but haven't felt the real need just yet).

Rod bearings gave out. I drove it hard for a very long time, averaging 10-13 local, regional, and national (Solo Nationals) autocross events, 2-4 track days (both as an instructor or participant) for nearly 10 years. So, I shouldn't be surprised it needed to be rebuilt anyways at some point. I didn't have much excessive oil burning on mine oddly enough. On your Prelude, have you tried to pinpoint where the oil burning is coming from? Maybe you just need to replace the seals at the top or bottom of your motor? There could be more to it than just that, but with 200k miles, that can be a start. If you have any questions if you dig into it more, PM or email me. :)

And trust me, I can understand your love for the Prelude, I haven't even had mine a full year yet, and have had decent offers to sell it several times, but something about it...it has a soul to it, and I've grown attached to it more than really any other car that I've ever had (for the price anyways). I consider it one of the last real "golden era" Hondas, so it has that going for it as well.

Out-of-the-box, the Prelude, Integra Type R, CRX, s2000, and NSX were very much "driver's cars", and at one point or another, I've driven each of these on an autocross course or road course hard and walked out of it smiling. They all shined best on a track, and were designed with soul as you put it. Sure, there are faster cars out there, but something about each of these cars made them a joy to drive. On my SH, I was able to pass cars that on paper should've waxed me. Could be me as a driver, but part of it is that the car just drives that well. After all, it was the best handling car in the world under $30,000 (Car & Driver). I've had people ride along, and they were just amazed on how the car handles, like a large go-kart. Probably putting in some pretty aggressive suspension components helped, but even when it started out stock, it ate up turns with ease.

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I forgot to post this pic earlier, but speaking of Solo Nationals, me and a couple of friends (from PreludeOnline.com) competed at Nationals in the same class about 10 years ago (Holy crap, 10 years ago!). I liked competing in DSP since then, but STX was a fun class back in the day.

PICT0141.jpg

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Well now that we got that love affair out of the way here Sean:) LOL Welcome to the OP for becoming a member of iMore and I hope you enjoy everything about it and all of the great forums we have. We do have a lot of fun here and as you can we do have very friendly members that will throw any topic at you. That is why you made the right choice to be here. Welcome again to iMore and have a blast. :)

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Since aloomis76 (who's a Blackberry guy) ventured over here, I figure I'd do the same. :D To give you some background, yes, I'm an Android guy (first Android phone was a Google Nexus One), and have tinkered on it and other phones...rooted, flashed a custom ROM, dual-ported into a non-Android device (HP TouchPad), etc. But, I appreciate different platforms (WebOS, Symbian, WP, BB, iOS), and a have had dipped my toes into Apple waters in the past. I used the Macintosh Classic as my research desktop in my college days, and a few years ago my wife had the iPhone 3GS that I used on occasion. A few months ago, I started in a company where most of the office equipment is Apple-based. I was assigned a mid-2012 15" MacBook Pro, and I've grown to like it. You hear about Google employees use Macs and MacBooks at their office (a couple of my friends that work there love them), so it's not surprising that alot of the Google products and services seem to work seamlessly with Apple products.

Anyways, hope you all don't mind me poking around here, and feel free to ask me (mostly) anything! :)
Hey if James is or can find a Minister we might be able to work something out with jacques and Sean with the car thing and join you 2 for better or worse till the phone break you apart.....:yes::rotfl:

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Hey if James is or can find a Minister we might be able to work something out with jacques and Sean with the car thing and join you 2 for better or worse till the phone break you apart.....:yes::rotfl:

LOL...yeah I know, we're having a bromance with all the car talk. Don't tell the wife. ;)

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I love iMore!!!! I've learned loads of little tricks and tips on how to get the most out of my iPhones, starting from the 3GS, which admittedly wasn't my favourite.

People are great. I love this site.