Moving on from Windows Phone 8 to an iPhone 5C

Steven Garrigus

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Hello all. I've been a Windows Phone user for the past 3 years and finally had enough and came back to the iOS realm. I've always liked iOS but haven't owned an iPhone since the 3GS.

With that out of the way, I have to say my #1 reason for coming back to iOS is the apps. No matter what type of app I need, I can find it in the App Store. From a true YouTube player, Machinima, Instagram and more, I never have to worry that the "cool new app" I hear about isn't going to be available.

My next reason is that Live Tiles on WP8 are supposed to compete with iOS's notification center, providing real-time updates right there on your home screen. Sounds great, except it doesn't friggin' work! Facebook, Amazing Weather, Super Calendar and so many more that I personally use refuse to update. Hell, my home screen shows the weather on 10/10/13 and my calendar shows 10/11/13! On my iPhone, I swipe down and there they all are, easy as can be. Not to mention swiping up for the control center. Smooth, intuitive, fast & well...perfect.

I know a lot of people seem to criticize the 5C, but I really like it. It wasn't a matter of money that led me to the 5C rather than the 5S. I never really cared for the machined aluminum shell of the 5 or 5S. The polycarbonate with steel underneath looks nice to me, is durable, has a bit of heft to it and I like that green color. As far as the difference between the 5C and 5S, they aren't a big deal. The camera is barely improved and even though it's a faster, 64-bit A7 processor in the 5S, all apps are going to work on both and I don't forsee any discernible performance difference. Both have a gig of RAM, the same screen, the same front-facing camera, etc. It just made sense to me to go with the 5C.

As for my Lumia 920 and Windows Phone, there are some things I miss. I miss that larger screen which hopefully the iPhone 6 will correct. I miss my built-in wireless charging and dedicated search engine button. But the cons outweigh the pros by a pretty wide margin.

Steven Garrigus

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Welcome back to iOS. The 3GS was an awesome handset. Enjoy your new 5C!

Thanks! Aside from all the bells & whistles, the apps, the cool parallax background & icon movement (which I've spent more than a few minutes ogling), the OS just WORKS. It does what I expect of it. It simple & intuitive.

I've never been a fan of digital downloads that cost more than about $0.99 because I'm one of those tangible goods types. When I buy a PS3 game for example, I want the disc, case, book, etc. Part of that is because you don't have any recourse if support for a particular software product ends. I got burned by Microsoft when they switched from WP7 to WP8 as some apps didn't work, some they just dropped from the store, etc. It was quite reassuring to log into my iTunes account and find every single app from my 3GS available again. I promptly downloaded Undead Pinball which is one of my all-time favorite games.

And that's a big deal to me. Knowing that Apple is going to continue to support the ecosystem and not abandon it. I'm glad to be back.

Stefano_B

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I had a Windows phone back in the day, thinking I had a smartphone. Then I switched to Android and iOS and the world became clear to me once again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi Steven and welcome to iMore. Actually you can be a bighelp to us because so many things have been written about the failure of the 5C and not doing as well as 5S which we all know is not true but since we we have a new member that has a 5C, Give us your opinion on now and when you have had had it for a good period of time in the 5C forum so we can here your impressions. Once again thank you and welcome to iMore.:)

meashishnd

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
its too best and nice thinking to change over... what a good idea you applied its even ios simply the great useful most user friendly os stay connected iMore
congratsssss 4 i5C

Last edited:

claudeburdel

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Welcome! I too came from a Windows Phone (in my case a Lumia 822) to a 5c. I never thought of myself as someone who needed a lot of apps, but when an app I really wanted and needed (in my case Uber) wasn't available on WP, suddenly the app gap became all too real.

Now that I'm on an iPhone, I enjoy my smartphone experience so much more. I can move between apps much more quickly and intuitively than I could on WP. I also find myself using my phone more now than when I had WP, and using more functions. For example, I never bothered with keeping music on my Nokia because the music player was such a headache. Now that I have my 5c, I've put a lot of songs on it, thus enjoying my phone in a way I never had before.

I hope Apple keeps making the C series. While I do understand that Apple isn't the type of company to offer a hundred different varieties of anything, I do think there is room for two phone types, especially when you consider that they offer two or more varieties of their other products as well. The C phones appeal to those who prefer color and those who prefer rounded plastic to sharp glass/steel.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2