Hello all, just joined these forums a few weeks ago. Previously had an iPhone 3G a few years ago, turned it in for a Samsung Galaxy S2, and became a big Android fan and in turn, an iOS basher.

Fast forward to last month, and I'm issued a shiny work phone in the form of an iPhone 5. Also (more importantly), my personal Android phone got cut off from work email because it was rooted with a custom ROM (Zenprise - our email sync system - throws a fit if it's rooted), forcing me to either carry two phones, or forward personal calls to the work iPhone and just carry it around. I've gone with the latter.

I have to say, after a few weeks with this phone, I'm really liking it and seeing the value in iOS. I rooted my Android phone in the first place because 1. a recent update pushed out by AT&T essentially broke the phone (widely reported issue of phone randomly not waking from sleep w/o a reboot) and 2. it will never see newer versions of Android (again, due to AT&T), so putting a custom ROM on it fixed both issues.

I would be thrilled if iOS 'borrowed' a few more elements from Android, but this isn't the thread for that. However for the time being, I'm greatly enjoying my new work/personal iPhone.
    Kristopher_Ri likes this.
    04-02-2013 12:10 PM
    Welcome to the forum and the world of iOS. I'm a long time android user and my latest was the galaxy note 2. Size brought me back to iPhone And so far I'm not regretting it. Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    04-02-2013 12:27 PM
    Welcome to iMore. I look forward to reading your posts. Feel free to interject your comments in any thread that may interest you. In the meantime, please take a moment to familiarize yourself with the Community Rules & Guidelines. Take care...
    04-02-2013 12:40 PM
    Hi mulasien, and welcome to our community. I'm also a former iPhone basher. (Sounds like a 12 step program, doesn't it?!) I couldn't be happier with my iPhone now, and hate when I have to pick up my Android devices for development work.
    04-02-2013 05:03 PM
    One very nice thing I've noticed going from Android back to iOS is that I would very often tinker with my GS2 at length for various reasons, but mostly to try to address issues with poor battery life, making the phone run smoother, and (in the case of the last AT&T update) even to try to stop the phone from crashing all the time. My iPhone just works, no tinkering required. And this coming from an IT pro who's job it is to tinker with stuff, it just gets old after a while :P.

I'll have to admit, though, that I do miss 1. Google Now and 2. Widgets. I'm hoping that later versions of iOS get at the very least number 1, and maybe a lighter 'Apple'-ized version of number 2.

Oh, and easier toggles. Hence my wish that Apple borrow a few more aspects of what makes Android great. I still like the OS (4.2 is really, REALLY good btw, people who bash Android as a shoddy wannabee don't know what missing), just the lack of updates and Samsung/carrier issues just got old.

That and "this app isn't compatible with your phone/tablet" !@@#!@$%^$.

I will admit, though, that I'm going to wait until we see what we get for a new iPhone this year and what the newest version of Android will have (likely in Google's I/O conference in May) to decide what my *personal* phone will be (either iPhone or Nexus). I'm either Nexus or nothing now on the Android side, but it will be a tough sell to get me to burn an upgrade on a '5S' iteration of the iPhone this year.
    kataran likes this.
    04-02-2013 05:22 PM
    Welcome to iMore. I can relate to not having to tinker with the device all the time. I was a Blackberry user and I'm not here to bash BB, but the battery pulls got old. One of the things I love the most about my iPhone is I don't have to do anything with the device. It just works everyday.
    04-03-2013 02:29 PM
    Welcome to iMore and I hope your days here learning all about you shiny IP5 are pleasant and like everyone else said, Fell free to jump right in.
    04-03-2013 02:47 PM
    One very nice thing I've noticed going from Android back to iOS is that I would very often tinker with my GS2 at length for various reasons, but mostly to try to address issues with poor battery life, making the phone run smoother, and (in the case of the last AT&T update) even to try to stop the phone from crashing all the time. My iPhone just works, no tinkering required. And this coming from an IT pro who's job it is to tinker with stuff, it just gets old after a while :P.

I'll have to admit, though, that I do miss 1. Google Now and 2. Widgets. I'm hoping that later versions of iOS get at the very least number 1, and maybe a lighter 'Apple'-ized version of number 2.

Oh, and easier toggles. Hence my wish that Apple borrow a few more aspects of what makes Android great. I still like the OS (4.2 is really, REALLY good btw, people who bash Android as a shoddy wannabee don't know what missing), just the lack of updates and Samsung/carrier issues just got old.

That and "this app isn't compatible with your phone/tablet" !@@#!@$%^$.

I will admit, though, that I'm going to wait until we see what we get for a new iPhone this year and what the newest version of Android will have (likely in Google's I/O conference in May) to decide what my *personal* phone will be (either iPhone or Nexus). I'm either Nexus or nothing now on the Android side, but it will be a tough sell to get me to burn an upgrade on a '5S' iteration of the iPhone this year.
    How to use SBSettings for iPhone [Jailbreak] | iMore.com

Widget

I'll admit I have no clue what Google Now is, and am too lazy to look it up :P
    04-03-2013 06:32 PM
    How to use SBSettings for iPhone [Jailbreak] | iMore.com

Widget

I'll admit I have no clue what Google Now is, and am too lazy to look it up :P
    Sadly, jailbreaking is out of the question, as our work email system would freak out and not allow email sync, which is what got me carrying just my work phone to begin with. Stock with stock image.

Google Now is amazing, think of what Siri 'ought' to be. You should look it up .
    04-04-2013 12:00 PM