The House of Prog

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Folks,

This is a thread for fans of Progressive Rock. Bands such as Yes, King Crimson, Genesis, Pink Floyd, The Strawbs, etc. When I was growing up in the 70ies I was a huge fan. And still am today!

I know my friend @Laura Knotek will be mad if I don't mention ELP or Emerson, Lake and Palmer, also, as she is a BIG fan of them. So I'm mentioning them now. ;) We lost Greg Lake recently. :(

So any other fans out there?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Of course I am, Pink Floyd, Rush, Kansas, Dream Theater, and I'll even throw in my favorite band In Flames. You may not consider In Flames progressive rock due to the fact that they are a founding band of melodic death metal, but their music has definitely shown a huge trend of progression since the beginning. If you want to hear the stark contrast from beginning to current look up Behind Space (not '99) and Save Me, totally different feels and sounds. You may notice Behind Space but you just may like Save Me.

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
If you want to hear the stark contrast from beginning to current look up Behind Space (not '99) and Save Me, totally different feels and sounds. You may notice Behind Space but you just may like Save Me.

Definitely prefer Save Me! The sound was kinda like is Death Metal (which I DO like BTW) and Progressive had a baby!

PS I actually kinda liked Behind Space 99 too (I HAD to listen lol)

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Definitely prefer Save Me! The sound was kinda like is Death Metal (which I DO like BTW) and Progressive had a baby!

The rest of Battles is pretty much prog rock like that while still maintaining that distinctive In Flames sound. If you liked Save Me you might like the whole album.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
@pkcable just saw your PS, I'm definitely a fan of the original. Mikael Stanne is a great vocalist. Behind Space '99 is basically just re-recording with Anders Friden on vocals. Anders has been the permanent vocalist since 1993 with The Jester Race album. Mikael Stanne is the permanent vocalist for Dark Tranquillity which Anders was the vocalist for on the first album. Those bands played musical chairs with the band members from 1990-1993 ha ha.

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Did anyone catch Yes' induction in to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame? Presenters were Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson from Rush!

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Great thread. Also grew up in the 70's. Listened to Genesis, Yes, Crimson, Tull, Pink Floyd, etc. Ahh, those were the days.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I saw King Crimson at the Starwood amphitheater in Antioch TN. Amazing musicians, but not my kind of music. They just sound strange to me. The "stick" base was interesting.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox