Which Do You Prefer: Physical Copy or Digital Album?

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
We all have different methods of acquiring our music and I was wondering if you personally prefer to own the actual CD or if owning the digital copy is enough. I personally prefer just the digital copy but there are two CDs that I could see myself purchasing the physical copy. Are there any factors that you consider when deciding whether you'd like the physical versus the digital or vice versa?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
A few years ago, I would have said a physical copy, but now I'd have say that a digital copy is preferred. I rarely buy music and I couldn't tell you when the last time I bought an actual music CD from a store.

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
For music I prefer digital as I find it much more convenient which is worth the trade off of losing some sound quality. The only time I'll go for physical if it's some sort of collectors item or if it's cheaper then iTunes.

Darkgift

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Physical copy of course. Nothing like looking at the inlay while listening to the music. And the smell of a freshly opened cd...can't beat it. That bring said, I will then rip said cd to my computer for easy access. The driving force behind if I absolutely need the hard copy is if I have the band's whole catalog in cd already, I keep the collection going.

Sent from my HTC 8x using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Digital...unless it's vinyl, but that is becoming harder and harder to find. I don't keep CD's, and actually went through ripping all of my CD's a few years ago and when completed, gave my whole collection away because they were just collecting dust.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Why choose when I can have both? Amazon MP3 it is. Storage is a nuisance but I would rather rip and manage my content on my own. If I can't get a physical copy of something though, iTunes is my preferred platform for buying it. Less work on my end. I enjoy having physical versions of the album art, liner notes, etc.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
A few years ago, I would have said a physical copy, but now I'd have say that a digital copy is preferred. I rarely buy music and I couldn't tell you when the last time I bought an actual music CD from a store.

Exactly this ^^

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I definitely prefer digital copies to CD's
It's amazing how times have changed. It was a experience going into initially a local record store to buy LP's or 45's and then CD's at a mega Tower Records and the like.
I miss that experience because it was a social experience for sure.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Digital, I copied all my CD's over to digital a few years ago and put them into my attic, to much of a pain to switch them out in today's world I guess.

iHackPro

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Physical CDs for me...I like building my collection of music.

Actually just bought Cole Swindell's album from Target a few minutes ago.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Physical, that's the way I went for a good two decades and things will not change.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Physical for sure, digital download quality is lacking. Even a CD can get you varied sound quality depending on what DAC you are using to convert the signal to analog and digital is far from loss less.

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Digital, music and photos. Times have changed. Less clutter, and digital is always there when you want it.
I never really bought much music past or present.
Anything I did have from years past is gone.
If I do buy music, my preference is Amazon, and I have my MP3's exported to iTunes.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods