macOS Sierra: Apps for freeing up system RAM and HD defragmentation?

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: Apps for freeing up system RAM and HD defragmentation?

I use Dr Cleaner for optimizing RAM (and general junk cleaner - along with CCleaner), but I've been told that if you have an SSD, you should avoid using a defrag app.

The_Prodigy1982

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site

True... when having an SSD, it's a common rule NOT to defrag.
Luckily I still have a HD.

- I'm considering getting an all-in-1 such as CleanMyMac... since it has several useful features such as 'App-uninstall', 'Resource recovery' etc.
However it doesn't have a defrag feature, which Drive Genius seems to have.
Drive Genius however seems more like a statistical app, used by shop owners to determine customer issues?

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

True... when having an SSD, it's a common rule NOT to defrag.
Luckily I still have a HD.

- I'm considering getting an all-in-1 such as CleanMyMac... since it has several useful features such as 'App-uninstall', 'Resource recovery' etc.
However it doesn't have a defrag feature, which Drive Genius seems to have.
Drive Genius however seems more like a statistical app, used by shop owners to determine customer issues?

What model Mac do you have? Why not replace your spinning drive with an SSD? Boost the speed and removes the need for any apps such as the ones you're requesting.

The_Prodigy1982

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site

I have no issues... my Mac is running fine (late 2015 model).
I just happen to use some apps that are somewhat heavy on resources, and I don't feel like rebooting a few times a day.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

I have no issues... my Mac is running fine (late 2015 model).
I just happen to use some apps that are somewhat heavy on resources, and I don't feel like rebooting a few times a day.

If you have a late 2015 Macbook....you've got an SSD unless you did a hybrid drive (which I'm still not sure you'd want to defrag). In which case, you don't want to defrag. Memory cleaning apps are decent at best. Your Mac typically does a good job at managing memory so those apps really aren't as necessary as they were in the past. But if you're wanting an app to clean memory, Dr. Clean Pro is pretty popular. I'd recommend doing some reading on how your Mac manages memory though. You may find you're doing more harm than good depending on your uses.

For example, if you're frequently clearing your memory, you're forcing your applications to open in a fresh state rather than your Mac holding them in cache, which speeds up the opening time. This is especially useful for apps you use frequently throughout your day.

Just some things to consider.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro