Your favorite OSX Tips and Tricks!

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
What are your TOP OSX tips and tricks? For me, it's really a combination of mouse shortcuts (finger gestures on the magic mouse), and simple stuff, like shaking the mouse to identify where the cursor is on screen... Oh, and using hot corners in mission control to trigger different events!

njlx2016

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Option + click the WiFi icon in status bar to see more info about the WiFi connection

Command + Space bar to quickly bring up Spotlight Search (and hold to activate Siri)

OZsMac

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
A few random things to try :)

1 - Install BetterTouchTool, any gesture you want or keyboard shortcut is yours
2 - Re-enable three finger dragging sys pref/accessibility/mouse & trackpad/trackpad options
3 - Remember to turn on auto unlock if you have an Apple Watch sys prefsec & privacy/general
4 - Put dock on right hand side settings/dock
5 - Install TripMode if you need to keep data usage in check for specific 4G/WIFI networks
6 - Minimise windows into application icon (helps your dock) settings/doc
7 - Option click various status bar icons to see more options/info
8 - Disable caps lock (or re-map to something else) sys pref/keyboard/modifier keys
9 - Enable enhanced dictation sys pref/keyboard/dictation
10 - Disable file sharing sys pref/sharing
11 - Change size of sidebar icon in finder etc sys pref/general
12 - Try dark mode for menubar and dock sys pref/general

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
I think the first thing all Apple users should learn is how to type the Apple Logo (Alt + Shift + K) 😃

Next it's all about screenshot! I'm sure many know about the 'snipping tool' on windows but Mac OS as usual does a better job. Simply hit (CMD + Shift + 4) to specify a certain section of the screen or hit (CMD + Shift + 3) to take a full shot of the screen!

So many awesome things but that's all for today 😃

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Simply hit (CMD + Shift + 4) to specify a certain section of the screen ...

If you press the spacebar after Cmd-Shift-4, a camera icon will appear and the screenshot tool will automatically select the foreground window; a click of the mount/trackpad will take the screenshot. (This is different from Cmd-Shift-3, as it takes just the current window.)

[edit] The camera icon takes a screenshot of the window that the camera icon is in, even if it is in the background and covered by another window. Sorry if my description above is unclear...

Last edited:

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
If you press the spacebar after Cmd-Shift-4, a camera icon will appear and the screenshot tool will automatically select the foreground window

Everyday i learn something new :) I would have used used the "CMD, Shift, 3" method to screenshot that specific section of the screen but adding the spacebar actually works really well. It's like a full body workout pressing all the keys at once haha. Thanks for tip doogald! I feel this thread is going to highlight a lot of cool features. Mac OS is awesome.

Mella

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I use this every day! :D Like this tip so much!
Simply hit (CM D + Shift + 4) to specify a certain section of the screen or hit (CMD + Shift + 3) to take a full shot of the screen!
If you press the spacebar after Cmd-Shift-4, a camera icon will appear and the screenshot tool will automatically select the foreground window; a click of the mount/trackpad will take the screenshot.

And recently found that Contacts can print the contacts in mailing labels or lists! Though after I bought a Contacts Manager from Cisdem, but this tricks make sense for me!

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
We need to get this thread going! There are so many cool things that all beginners need to know about. :) Another cool feature i love using is the 'Signature' insert on .PDF documents. All you need to do is,
1) sign on a white piece of paper.
2) Open .PDF document in 'Preview'
3) Click On the 'Edit' button (top right)
4) Click 'Add Signature, and place the signature on the blue line (using the webcam)

So now you can easily add your signature to all documents. Saves a lot of time and ink printing out the document :)

Another feature thats quite nice, is, using 4 fingers, bring them together in a pinch motion on the track pad and this will show you all the applications that are installed on your Mac. Quick and easy access.