Java Runtime Environment (JRE) OR Java SE Development Kit (JDK)??

The_Prodigy1982

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
As an average customer, what version of Java is recommended?
(for best compatibility and safety online)

•Java Runtime Environment (JRE) OR Java SE Development Kit (JDK)...

njlx2016

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
You shouldn't install Java unless you absolutely need to, as it is notorious for opening up gaping security holes in your computer. Is there a program or website you use on a regular basis that requires it?

njlx2016

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
I'd still highly recommend against installing Java. If you absolutely need to install it however, just realize that you are poking massive holes in your computer's security.

Further reading:

deadspin-quote-carrot-aligned-w-bgr-2 (I posted this link for the comments more than the article)
https://heimdalsecurity.com/blog/java-biggest-security-hole-your-computer/
How big a security risk is Java? Can you really quit using it? | ZDNet

If you still want to install it (again, highly not recommended) (like, seriously, massive, cevernous security vulnerabilities) you probably don't need the Java Development Kit (JDK) then, as it's mostly used by programmers in an integrated development environment.

More information on installing Java:
https://java.com/en/download/help/index_installing.xml?os=Macintosh+OS+X&j=8&n=20

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
You shouldn't install Java unless you absolutely need to, as it is notorious for opening up gaping security holes in your computer. Is there a program or website you use on a regular basis that requires it?

This is true for Java applets in web browsers, but Java apps that are not browser-based applets are generally fine and don't necessarily open up gaping holes. That said, any app that I use that is Java based (the finance app Moneydance and the backup app Crashplan) includes its own JRE as part of that app package.

I keep the Java plugin turned off but there are occasional web sites that I use (thankfully, very infrequently) that frustratingly still use Java applets, so I turn it on just before I use those sites and ten turn it right back off. And Safari also prompts you before running applets on a site, and you can even set the plugin off for any site that asks for it if you like.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2