Multiple Duplicate Contacts w/ each Upgrade

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
The last two updates to the OS has resulted in duplicates of all of my Contacts - the first time, to both my iCloud and Mac's list; the last, just my iCloud list.

Contacted Apple the first time and I shared my screen as they saw what what was going on. They were baffled, and their suggestion was to merge the duplicates - but the number I had made that really unattractive.

Just about got everything back to normal and another update. This time I did - to coin a recently refreshed turn of phrase - The Nuclear Option - fully deleted al my iCloud Contacts, and reinstalled them from an old backup. Yeah, a backup of a backup - go figure, Apple.
I lost a few more recent numbers, but whad'dya gonna do?

Anyone else experience this 'bug' (as the Apple Tech described it)? Thoughts?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Are some of these Google contacts? Or were the duplicates also iCloud contacts? Did you try going to settings > iCloud > Toggle off contacts > choose "delete from my iPhone" > Toggle back on?
I got a lot of duplicates when I tried to make all my contacts iCloud. Some were Google. I added a vCard of all contacts. Had to go through and delete duplicate contact cards as well as duplicate entries within the cards. LOL

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Are some of these Google contacts? Or were the duplicates also iCloud contacts? Did you try going to settings > iCloud > Toggle off contacts > choose "delete from my iPhone" > Toggle back on?
I got a lot of duplicates when I tried to make all my contacts iCloud. Some were Google. I added a vCard of all contacts. Had to go through and delete duplicate contact cards as well as duplicate entries within the cards. LOL

Actually, very few were @google contact addresses. Seemed to be across the board.

I did not try and uninstall / reinstall my Contacts via my iPhone and see if that made a difference. Actually, this last time, there were no duplicates in either my phone or online iCloud access - only on the Mac, shown in the iCloud account.

Almost enough to consider pulling the plug on iCloud 'syncing' with Contacts and just manually insert those I want in both locations...

rdstryr

Trusted Member
Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
This happened to me on last update. Made the mistake of deleting some of the "duplicates" and it deleted the entire contact from my iPhone. Now when I add the contact back it will not sync up with MB or vice versa.

Mella

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I once use third-party app to delete the duplicates contacts. but don't know if it still work.
ContactsMate can do finding and deleting duplicate Contacts, you may have a try.

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I removed the Account / Sync from my Mac's Mail and the most recent iOS / MacOS patch (sorry - 'upgrade') did not cause the problem, so I guess its an issue in iCloud.

I'm perfectly okay with having to manually add an address into both Contacts (I know, I know - how 'old school'), if it means I don't have this problem. But I shouldn't have to be doing this, if the sync worked as advertised. Nor should I need a 3rd Party app to fix an Apple bug.

The next challenge looming is the upcoming requirement that everyone have signed onto Apple's 2-part authorization, and to individually set passwords for 3rd Party apps that access iCloud - like Outlook and other Contacts / Calendar apps - on iOS and Mac. Grrr. But that's another thread entirely....

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm perfectly okay with having to manually add an address into both Contacts (I know, I know - how 'old school'), if it means I don't have this problem. But I shouldn't have to be doing this, if the sync worked as advertised. Nor should I need a 3rd Party app to fix an Apple bug.

FWIW, I have no duplicate contact issues with contacts sync with my Google account, and never have. Google contacts will not populate contact groups, though, if you do need contact groups. If that's not an issue, then you could sign up for a free Gmail account but only use the contacts sync part of the Google account.

Vyenkatesh

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
I do have a duplicate contact issue with my Microsoft Live account. Whenever I add new contact or edit any contact to add new information, it creates duplicate contact on my live account.

Vyenkatesh

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
I do have a duplicate contact issue with my Microsoft Live account. Whenever I add new contact or edit any contact to add new information, it creates duplicate contact on my live account.

Imported all contacts in iCloud and disconnected Live account. All is well now.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods