anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I'm new to Mac OS, and still trying to find my way around.
This evening I was working from home, and needed to ping one of our servers. For love or money, I couldn't find a command prompt (equivalent).

After search on Google, results shows it should be in Applications \ Utilities and Network Utility.
Well, on my MacOS Sierra 10.12, that isn't the case. I had to search deep in the System folder. Once found, I placed an icon on my desktop.

But, what is the better way to find apps like this?

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Okay, so with OS X, Apple has taken measures to hide certain folders & files. The reason being is so that people who do not have the technical know how can not change system files that can effect the os. There are a couple of ways to show the hidden files. It can be done in Terminal which is in your Utilities Folder.

Show/Hide Hidden Files the Long Way

The long way to show hidden Mac OS X files is as follows:

1. Open Terminal found in Finder > Applications > Utilities
  2. In Terminal, paste the following: defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES
  3. Press return
  4. Hold the ?Option/alt? key, then right click on the Finder icon in the dock and click Relaunch.

This will show all hidden files. To hide them again, follow the same steps but replace the Terminal command with:
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles NO

The other way is by doing a Search in Finder. You can just open Finder and in the Search box start typing what you are looking for as image below shows.
Screen Shot 2016-11-04 at 2.34.36 AM.png

The other way is to do an advanced search if you need to dig a little further. Just click and hold for a second on the Finder icon on the dock. This will open a window with some options. Choose Find and the advances search Finder window will open. Shown below.

Screen Shot 2016-11-04 at 2.41.46 AM.png

The terminal commands will not always show everything especially if it is not hidden but is in another location as is the Network Utility. This is why I explained the search options for finding things. I understand Apple's thinking behind the hidden or buried files. But it can be a bit of a pain at times. I have seen it many times where people just start deleting files thinking they are clearing up space and delete important system files. I can go into this a little further if you need me too. But what ifo I have supplied should help find things in most cases.