Why No Night Shift for Macs?

stooovie

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Is there an app that lets you schedule night shift mode like Apple's does? Flux doesn't see to have that option It asks me when I wake up, but not when I go to sleep ( or when want it to go into night mode )

Flux is completely automatic - it detects location (or you enter it manually) and then it engages and disengages at proper times. You can even set the length of the transition between fluxed and non-fluxed display.

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Ennui, from their Department of Indifference - especially when their most recent hardware and OS make it fairly clear that they're trying to get out of the computer biz, in favour of iOS and its devices.

Or Apple's traditional view that it knows what users really want, and its never what users say they need.

Take your pick.

Anil Chopra

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Indeed you can active dark mode, on your mac

system preferences > General > check "use dark mode for menu bar and dock" it will help you out in some way.

The complete guide on all devices: you can check out, this. [redacted]

Last edited by a moderator:

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
I don't know, but I will be sure to kill it off if they bring it out.
Can't stand a yellow screen.
When I was growing up I was told to avoid yellow snow! :p

Tech198

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
I always wondered this as well, but i ain' tcomplaing.... 12 hours on MBA is more than plenty... Even 10 hours is enough.

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I would much prefer a 'dark mode' over 'night shift'.

There is some tweaking you can do in Accessibility > Display (Invert Colors or Greyscale) to achieve something like dark mode (less strain on the eyes and there should be power-saving with that), while night shift's yellows or blues (depending on app provider) is just plain irritating for me.

ralphelliott

Jan 4, 2017
Visit site
They didn't introduce it to the mobile OS until IOS9.x so perhaps it will come in time. Having a yellow phone screen annoys me though so I'm not sure how I'd feel about a 15" MBP all yellow'ed out.

Tech198

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
I would much prefer a 'dark mode' over 'night shift'.

There is some tweaking you can do in Accessibility > Display (Invert Colors or Greyscale) to achieve something like dark mode (less strain on the eyes and there should be power-saving with that), while night shift's yellows or blues (depending on app provider) is just plain irritating for me.

Perhaps that's "why" they don't do it... because you could do allot ore on Mac to achieve the same result. However, a simple button to turn all this at once would still be good.