When I try to access my website [redacted] Safari says:
    Safari Can't Open the Page

Safari can't open the page [redacted]because the server where this page is located isn't responding.

Access to my website in Mozilla's Firefox also gives a similar message:
    The connection has timed out

The server at [redacted] is taking too long to respond.
    * The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
    * If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.
    * If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

This website can be accessed from Safari for iOS 12.1, and this website's sister domain [redacted](which shares a near-identical setup) works fine everywhere. In addition, this website works from various other operating systems (Android, Orbis OS, Ubuntu, etc).

The username/password/relevant details have been verified as correct.

Further to this, I get the following error message when trying to configure e-mail, CalDAV or CardDAV in macOS 10.14 ("Mojave"):
    Unable to verify account name or password.

iOS 12.1 and Apple Mail for iOS 12.1 are able to connect to my domain for e-mail, CalDAV and CardDAV just fine.

The username/password/relevant details have been verified as correct.

This is super-frustrating because whilst I only use macOS occasionally (it's my daughter's computer - I use Ubuntu), it means that I am unable to access my e-mail/calendar/contacts at all without pulling my iPhone out or going back to my laptop...

Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Just_Me_D; 11-13-2018 at 08:15 PM.
    11-12-2018 04:24 AM
    Hey there. I had no problem accessing your site. I’m on iOS 12.1.1 beta. Sorry I can’t be more help but everything works fine over here!
    11-12-2018 06:32 AM
    Hey there. I had no problem accessing your site. I’m on iOS 12.1.1 beta. Sorry I can’t be more help but everything works fine over here!
    I see you're using a beta version of macOS - perhaps there's some issue they've addressed (my daughter runs the stable release)?
    11-12-2018 06:34 AM
    Sounds to me like something on the Mac is preventing you from accessing the site since it only seems to be an issue on the Mac.

I'm personally using 1Blocker on our Mac to block ads and a lot of other stuff.
    11-12-2018 06:36 AM
    I see you're using a beta version of macOS - perhaps there's some issue they've addressed (my daughter runs the stable release)?
    Completely misread your post. I’m using iOS. I have Mojave on my MacBook but don’t have access to it right now. I’ll check it out when I have an opportunity and report back.
    11-12-2018 06:41 AM
    Sounds to me like something on the Mac is preventing you from accessing the site since it only seems to be an issue on the Mac.

I'm personally using 1Blocker on our Mac to block ads and a lot of other stuff.
    Could be a content blocker but I’m using 1Blocker for iOS and it doesn’t seem to have an issue.
    11-12-2018 06:42 AM
    Could be a content blocker but I’m using 1Blocker for iOS and it doesn’t seem to have an issue.
    Possibly. I'll try from my MBP when I get to work.
    11-12-2018 06:44 AM
    I thought that myself, but Safari is running "stock" and the only content-blocker (Kaspersky) is disabled...

Completely misread your post. I’m using iOS. I have Mojave on my MacBook but don’t have access to it right now. I’ll check it out when I have an opportunity and report back.
    Yeah as per my post, it works fine with iOS...
    11-12-2018 06:56 AM
    I thought that myself, but Safari is running "stock" and the only content-blocker (Kaspersky) is disabled...
    Yeah as per my post, it works fine with iOS...
    I can reach the site via Mojave with 1Blocker enabled.

So now I'm leaning toward something network related. Have you tried changing DNS servers on the Mac? I'm personally bouncing between OpenDNS (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220) and Cloudflare (1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1).
    11-12-2018 07:31 AM
    So now I'm leaning toward something network related.
    Other devices on the same wireless (Wi-Fi) network can access this website, so I'm doubtful it's network-related... I'll try a hotspot via my iPhone XR when I get home from work tomorrow, and see if that makes a difference.

I'm happy to be proven wrong, especially if it fixes my issue.

Have you tried changing DNS servers on the Mac? I'm personally bouncing between OpenDNS (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220) and Cloudflare (1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1).
    I'm not sitting in front of the computer at the moment so I can't have a poke around, but I'm assuming there is a network settings in macOS' "settings" app?
    11-12-2018 07:38 AM
    I'm not sitting in front of the computer at the moment so I can't have a poke around, but I'm assuming there is a network settings in macOS' "settings" app?
    Well I probably should have added a little more to my post above. I'm leaning toward a network issue with the Mac. :-)

Settings / network

On the left side of the window, highlight the network connection and then on the bottom right click ADVANCED then DNS at the top of the next window:
    Can't connect to my domain/website!-screen-shot-2018-11-12-7.43.08-am.png
    Can't connect to my domain/website!-screen-shot-2018-11-12-7.44.24-am.jpg

Now edit DNS settings and click OK at the bottom, then APPLY when you get back to the network settings screen. Reboot Mac and try again.
    11-12-2018 07:46 AM
    Another possibility is bad cache for the site. Id try going into Safari preferences (Safari menu / Preferences, or Cmd-comma) and go to the "Privacy" tab. Click "Managed website data", search for the domain name (opera.id.au), and delete anything that shows up.

It opens on Safari for me Mojave 10.14.1 by the way. I do use the content blocker "Better". If you really want to rule out content blockers, incidentally, you can long-click on the refresh control in the address bar and choose "Reload without content blockers". (Which also works on iOS Safari.)
    11-12-2018 11:14 AM
    Well I probably should have added a little more to my post above. I'm leaning toward a network issue with the Mac. :-)
    No change after editing the DNS settings...

Another possibility is bad cache for the site. Id try going into Safari preferences (Safari menu / Preferences, or Cmd-comma) and go to the "Privacy" tab. Click "Managed website data", search for the domain name (opera.id.au), and delete anything that shows up.
    Nothing showed-up for my domain.

It opens on Safari for me Mojave 10.14.1 by the way. I do use the content blocker "Better". If you really want to rule out content blockers, incidentally, you can long-click on the refresh control in the address bar and choose "Reload without content blockers". (Which also works on iOS Safari.)
    I don't don't get the option to "reload without content blockers", only the option to "reload" or "reload with Flash"...

These issues are still persistent with the e-mail, CalDAV and CardDAV settings, too.

As previously noted, this only affects macOS; iOS devices and other devices connected to the same wireless networks (we have two in our house) work just fine... We do have another macOS computer which I'll try this afternoon (it's my son's and he's at school), to see if it's isolated to this particular computer or not.
    11-13-2018 05:22 PM
    To isolate if this is a user account thing, create a new user in System Preferences, log in as that user (skip the stuff about logging in to Apple ID), and see what happens in Safari on that account.
    11-13-2018 06:34 PM
    To isolate if this is a user account thing, create a new user in System Preferences, log in as that user (skip the stuff about logging in to Apple ID), and see what happens in Safari on that account.
    It's the same issue with a "test" account on my daughter's iMac (which did not have an Apple ID associated with it), and my son gets the same errors on his macOS Mojave MacBook Pro.

Seeing as pretty much everything except macOS Mojave works, it's looks like it might be macOS Mojave-related..
    11-14-2018 01:24 AM
    It's the same issue with a "test" account on my daughter's iMac (which did not have an Apple ID associated with it), and my son gets the same errors on his macOS Mojave MacBook Pro.

Seeing as pretty much everything except macOS Mojave works, it's looks like it might be macOS Mojave-related..
    As I said, it works on my computer with Mojave, so it must be something local to your connection and something with Mojave.

So, maybe a few questions:

First, open the terminal app on the Mac. (It's in the utilities folder of the Applications folder, or you can just search for Terminal from spotlight.)
    • From the command line of the terminal app, type the following command:
      Code:
      ping -c 5 opera.id.au
      . Does it time out, or do you get a response from 103.42.110.25?
    • If you do get a response, how about with the following command:
      Code:
      traceroute opera.id.au
      ? Does that command time out eventually, or does it actually end? (Traceroute does just what it says it does: it shows you each router that a packet from your computer would have to go through to get to the destination, and how long it takes to get to each step.)

So, it'd be interesting to see what the result of that is.
    11-14-2018 10:56 AM
    So, maybe a few questions:

First, open the terminal app on the Mac. (It's in the utilities folder of the Applications folder, or you can just search for Terminal from spotlight.)
    • From the command line of the terminal app, type the following command:
      Code:
      ping -c 5 opera.id.au
      . Does it time out, or do you get a response from 103.42.110.25?
    No response on the ping at all:
    Code:
    PING opera.id.au (103.42.110.25): 56 data bytes
    Request timeout for icmp_seq 0
    Request timeout for icmp_seq 1
    Request timeout for icmp_seq 2
    Request timeout for icmp_seq 3

--- opera.id.au ping statistics ---
    5 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100.0% packet loss
    Same with the IP address:
    Code:
    PING 103.42.110.25 (103.42.110.25): 56 data bytes
    Request timeout for icmp_seq 0
    Request timeout for icmp_seq 1
    Request timeout for icmp_seq 2
    Request timeout for icmp_seq 3

--- 103.42.110.25 ping statistics ---
    5 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100.0% packet loss

Lastly, here's the results of traceroute (it was still going at line 30 with the same response as line 13+ when I posted this):
    Code:
    traceroute to opera.id.au (103.42.110.25), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets
     1  192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1)  2.602 ms  1.032 ms  0.913 ms
     2  192.168.0.1 (192.168.0.1)  4.168 ms  3.324 ms  3.626 ms
     3  10.207.80.1 (10.207.80.1)  10.883 ms  10.658 ms  10.851 ms
     4  58.160.250.129 (58.160.250.129)  12.967 ms  13.252 ms  11.500 ms
     5  bundle-ether4.woo-edge901.brisbane.telstra.net (203.50.44.36)  17.809 ms  12.737 ms  16.677 ms
     6  bundle-ether5.woo-core1.brisbane.telstra.net (203.50.11.136)  13.197 ms  14.188 ms  16.757 ms
     7  bundle-ether20.chw-core10.sydney.telstra.net (203.50.11.180)  26.376 ms  24.636 ms  25.226 ms
     8  bundle-ether1.chw-edge901.sydney.telstra.net (203.50.11.99)  21.116 ms  24.572 ms  24.142 ms
     9  ape2634996.lnk.telstra.net (110.145.150.78)  26.255 ms  21.291 ms  26.234 ms
    10  27.122.113.133 (27.122.113.133)  21.429 ms  23.824 ms  22.869 ms
    11  10ge-agg01.syd01.as45638.net.au (103.252.152.253)  21.412 ms  23.968 ms  22.312 ms
    12  10ge-gw01.syd01.ventraip.net.au (103.252.152.129)  22.650 ms  22.436 ms  24.190 ms
    13  * * *
    14  * * *
    15  * * *
    16  * * *
    17  * * *
    18  * * *
    19  * * *
    20  * * *
    11-14-2018 09:51 PM
    It's getting stuck on the last hop - which is
    Code:
    s113.syd1.hostingplatform.net.au (103.42.110.25)
    For some reason the IP address of the destination is blocking you from getting to it. You are making it to every other hop but the last one.

One thing I noticed is that you have two routers (the first two hops are 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.0.1; those are two different private IP addresses in different networks). What is your configuration? Which is closest to the internet? Have you tried restarting the two routers? And does the one that connects to your ISP have its own WiFi, and would connecting to it instead of the one you usually use give a different result?

Oh, and do you have any sort of antivirus or anti malware installed on the Mac?
    11-15-2018 06:23 AM
    It's getting stuck on the last hop - which is
    Code:
    s113.syd1.hostingplatform.net.au (103.42.110.25)
    For some reason the IP address of the destination is blocking you from getting to it. You are making it to every other hop but the last one.

One thing I noticed is that you have two routers (the first two hops are 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.0.1; those are two different private IP addresses in different networks). What is your configuration? Which is closest to the internet? Have you tried restarting the two routers? And does the one that connects to your ISP have its own WiFi, and would connecting to it instead of the one you usually use give a different result?
    * We have our ISP-supplied modem/router, and a NETGEAR Nighthawk X4S AC2600 modem/router.
    * The ISP-supplied modem/router is connected directly to our coaxial (cable) Internet, and to our NETGEAR Nighthawk X4S AC2600 modem/router via ethernet cable. The Wi-Fi has been disabled completely on our ISP-supplied modem/router (it has been since the day we got it).
    * The NETGEAR Nighthawk X4S AC2600 modem/router obviously does not connect to our coaxial (cable) broadband directly, but rather via ethernet cable to our ISP-supplied modem/router; it is the NETGEAR Nighthawk X4S AC2600 modem/router and only the NETGEAR Nighthawk X4S AC2600 modem/router that broadcasts our Wi-Fi networks.
    * Restarting the two modem/routers makes no difference.
    * I haven't tried connecting the iMac to the ISP-supplied modem/router because Wi-Fi is completely disabled on it and has never even been setup... Nothing in our house has ever used the Wi-Fi on the ISP-supplied modem/router. I could try taking the iMac downstairs when I get a couple of days off late next week and physically connecting it to each modem/router to see if it changes anything - but I am pretty sceptical about such a test working.
    * I have Kaspersky's security suite installed on the computer - but it's only activated for virus protection and even quitting this completely makes no difference.
    11-16-2018 06:46 AM
    Appears to be some intermittent latency as shown by the tracert and followed right after by pathping.
    Can't connect to my domain/website!-tracert.png
    Can't connect to my domain/website!-pathping.png
    11-16-2018 07:14 AM
    * I have Kaspersky's security suite installed on the computer - but it's only activated for virus protection and even quitting this completely makes no difference.
    As these utilities I believe install kernel extensions onto the Mac, I am wondering if there is something in Kaspersky that is blocking that IP address? Since your iOS device within the WiFi network can get to the site, that rules out something on the routers or blocking by your isp. And since I can get response to the site from Mojave, it’s not something specific to MacOS.

(If you are able to use a hotspot feature through your mobile carrier from your iPhone or an LTE iPad, that’s another way to isolate the system from your network - create a temporary hotspot to the phone or iPad and try the ping to see if it gets through. That would isolate seeing if it’s a network issue.) But, I don’t think that’s it. I also wouldn’t bother trying to connect the iMac through the isp router/modem at this point. That’s too much bother for what I think the issue may be.

I’d strongly suggest at least completely uninstalling Kaspersky and restart the Mac to see if that changes anything. You can always reinstall the suite if it makes no difference. It may not be Kaspersky, but those security suites do install a bunch of system stuff to try to protect you. I’m wondering if it’s over-protecting in this case.
    11-16-2018 10:23 AM
    Okay, I think I have identified what the problem is... I just don't know why it is a problem.

Much to my surprise, if I use my iPhone XR as a "hotspot", I can connect to my domain without issue (I didn't try to setup CalDAV/CardDAV/etc - but presumably it too works just fine under this scenario), which means that something on our Wi-Fi network is blocking the macOS computers - and only the macOS computers - from accessing this particular domain (quite literally nothing else has issues when connected to the very same Wi-Fi network)(even our various iPhones can access this particular domain without issue).

I did not disable Kaspersky's security suite when I conducted this test (in other words, Kaspersky is seemingly not to blame).

Any ideas?
    11-22-2018 07:48 PM
    Try uninstalling Kaspersky (and any other security suite) and see if that fixes it. Worst case is you have to re-install.

No, do not just “disable it” - completely uninstall it (the Kaspersky .dmg install should have an uninstall routine inside it), restart the computer, see if that fixes it. You only have to test on one computer. Again, if you have any other security apps installed, get rid of those as well.
    11-23-2018 11:13 AM
    Try uninstalling Kaspersky (and any other security suite) and see if that fixes it. Worst case is you have to re-install.
    No change after (completely) removing and re-installing Kaspersky Internet Security, then restarting.
    11-23-2018 04:04 PM
    Ok, I'd say the next thing to try is to turn on WiFi temporarily on the cable router (if you can; if you can't, maybe try connecting by ethernet; hopefully that's not too much of a pain), connect to that router, and see if you get the same issue. If it is a router issue, that may be able to isolate whether it's the cable router or the Nighthawk.
    11-27-2018 06:03 PM
26 12