Not on my Mac

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Bad news courtesy of Apple this week - the next OS (10.14) will not run on my mid-2011 Air.

Not really a surprise there for me, but has me wondering which is more valuable - my 'obsolete' (both by age and model specifications) and incredibly convenient 11" that still runs as expected, or an OS that seems to have Dark Mode as the only real selling point for me.

Now, its possible that by October, I might consider getting a new Mac - but the bad news for Apple is that it would (given what we know so far about MacBooks, ports and keyboards) probably be a slightly more kitted-out 13" Air from last year, and likely bought from their own Refurb Store at a 15% discount. Or not. Maybe I'll just say 'thanks, but no thanks', and keep running an 'old' OS on an 'old' computer until it finally just upchucks on its own. And look at all the notebook options.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
At some point you're going to have to upgrade from your 2011 machine. With that being said, I would easily recommend a MacBook Air, if you didn't want to fork over the money for a 2017 MacBook Pro. In addition, the MBA will provide you with the ports you may want or need without needing dongles or adapters like you do with the newer MBP devices. On the other hand, if you can get a refurbished MBP 2015 or higher at an acceptable price, go for it.

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Update: I recently 'upgraded' to a 2017 Air - I had an unexpected financial opportunity to do it, so largely to get the larger screen and twice as much storage. It also, I suppose, future-proofed me for a couple of years, OS-wise. And earlier this week, I moved up to Mojave - discovering that, in doing so, its only really the dark mode that is really of any noticeable value to me.

Meanwhile, my 11" sits over there, running the most recent High Sierra with everything else updated. Torn as to what to do with it. Toss it into my daily travel bag and use it as on might use a tablet - whipping it out to do incidental stuff, docs and the like via the cloud back to my 13" at home and watch movies, or reformat it and sell it off to someone who wants / appreciates it? Its (short of the battery) pristine. Hmm.

2SoulsReaper

Sep 30, 2018
Visit site
Of patience you need ...

A new CEO in place will and will whip the entire sectarian Apple team in a crevasse* at the bottom of the Sierra ..

Metal is an option, an optimization, not a way not a unification
when to the rest of the site 10.14.XX .. some driver packages to add copied old versions
- nothing transcendental

Any platform insulation leads to the death of it and Apple among others still remembers it bitterly.

PS: sicerement, my guy you'll be a hero for all these billions of customers on this planet
and elsewhere.

otherwise .. a free developer will do it and we will look at you like ****

*(to be determined, best vote Mount Whitney(our constraints, really ..))

Last edited:

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I'm in the same boat; I wanted to update my Macs (two MacBook Pros and a MacBook Air - all 2011 models), but I discovered yesterday that they're not upgradable. Sucks. I got this Pro in May 2011 brand new, my other Pro in 2015 and my Air in May of this year - both from eBay. I don't really have the finances to buy a brand new model, plus, I'm not keen on the keyboard problems the Macs have been having since the 2015 MacBook. Oh, well.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Unfortunately with all hardware there has to be a line drawn in the sand for continued support from any computer manufacturer and/or software company.

I remember having some older 2011 units myself and when I took my MacBook Pro to a local Mac repair company here, the first thing the tech told me was that if I was considering updating, it might be a great time to do it because firmware and hardware support was starting to fade on the 2011 models and that was a couple of years ago.

I know it’s sucks, but that’s just reality in today’s fast moving high tech world.