macbook pro 13 2017 with exfat external harddrive issue

t0n1zz

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
so as i am just switching from windows to mac... i find something surprising that mac can't write on NTSF drive which my 1TB seagate external harddrive is... and then need a freaking $30 paragon-NTFS to read those and i bought it because i live with windows user too...

and i found out that the most versatile drive format that allow me to use it normally (read and write) between mac and win is exfat and fat32 and i choose exfat since it allow for bigger file size operation.

so i relocated all my files and reformat my seagate external harddrive to exfat and it works fine for once... another day i try to connect to my macbook pro via usb-c usb-a dongle (which is suck but working just fine using it yesterday), the drive just not/cannot mount... i can see it in disk utility but it is grey out and i tried to mount it using disk util, terminal, ntfs-paragon... but none of those working

so how to fix it? i plug this same drive to windows machine and it works fine... very weird i thought mac suppose to be much better experience than windows... but in these several days i feel so frustated just by a simple harddrive plug...

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Why are you surprised? Apple has it's own file system that it prefers you use....:cool:

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
so as i am just switching from windows to mac... i find something surprising that mac can't write on NTSF drive which my 1TB seagate external harddrive is... and then need a freaking $30 paragon-NTFS to read those and i bought it because i live with windows user too...

Sorry that I missed this when it was posted, but Seagate provides a free Paragon NTFS driver its drives. It works only with Seagate drives, so you'd have to buy a license for another external hard drive brand.