Is the Power Nap function reserved only for SSD drives?

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
When Power Nap is activated on my iMac, often a failure will occur when it tries to wake up from standby which will then result in a force restart, often in the middle of the night. Is the Power Nap function reserved only for SSD drives? My iMac does not have one. Or is my HDD not working as intended?

Should have posted this in the iMac forums actually, anyway it can be moved?

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Re: Wakeup failure

Not just you, I often find my late 2016 MBP did a restart when I go back to use it later for no reason. I suspect High Sierra is the issue, but I am stuck on that OS now since you can't go back to Sierra. I didn't make a backup as I normally do.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

Not just you, I often find my late 2016 MBP did a restart when I go back to use it later for no reason. I suspect High Sierra is the issue, but I am stuck on that OS now since you can't go back to Sierra. I didn't make a backup as I normally do.

Unless it is an iMac Pro, I believe that you can still download Sierra. See https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208202

And I believe it's possible that one of the options when you boot from your Recovery partition is to install the original OS that the device shipped with. See https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904 (I just saw this page last week when I reinstalled High Sierra from scratch last week myself without migrating because I was having some weird issues and I suspected it was from some old app cruft.)

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site

This has been happening to my machine a lot longer than High Sierra has been out. I would wager to say that it has happened since I got the device, which was back in 2013. Turning off Power Nap seems to resolve the issue, although the other day I swore it restarted by itself once again, even without the feature activated. I wonder if macOS automatically restarts the device when a security patch is downloaded in the background. It seemed to restart twice in one go.

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Wakeup failure

Since the update/upgrade from Sierra to High Sierra, my 2012 iMac has been having totally random reboots while sleeping, then showing a warning about the reboot because of a problem, with a long diagnostic wrt 'sleep wake failure'. The normal sequence seems to also involve 2 reboots back to back. The computer is fine once in use, albeit wake-up now takes a while and seems to be very slow to get Bluetooth ( control of mouse & keyboard) back from sleep..... This has happened since the High Sierra install and the latest security etc update ( 10.13.2) didn't fix.... I'm waiting for the next bug fix update (10.13.3) due soon before digging further though....

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I did but disabled it quite a while ago ( a month??) thinking it may have had something to do with this problem - it didn't.....

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2