Keep getting "Update Apple ID Settings" in system settings

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I have update to Catalina and I have been getting the "Update AppleID Settings" notification since the update. I have put in my AppleID password, about 8 times, logged out, logged in, rebooted my MBP everything imaginable and it still says I need to update. So what is it that needs updating if entering my Password isn't updating it to begin with?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I get the same thing on my iPhone 6s Plus. Since updating to iOS 13, I've had to log in my Apple ID password several times. No clue why. Also, I've had to log in to all 4 of my Gmail email accounts over and over. I get a pop up to log in my password, and it says to do so at a Google site, so Google can share my info!!! And there's no way to sign in in Settings. I have to go to the Google site in Safari to sign in to my email
accounts. Apple has assured me there's nothing nefarious about the info sharing. That all is well. But they had no clue why this prompt to log in keeps popping up over and over again.

MikeElmendorf

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
I have had the same issue on all 3 of my Macs I’ve updated, as well as my iPad.

Apple support did something on the backend with the iPad issue (which was the first time I experienced this) and it prompted me to enter the passcode from my phone instead of info from the iPad, which stopped it from asking me to update.

On my Macs, two of them finally stopped asking after I entered the same information over and over.

My iMac at the office would not stop asking me to update information. I spent a LONG time on the phone with Apple Support, who seemed clueless/unaware of the issue (which is surprising because a number of people are having it).

While waiting for a call back, I decided to log out and back into iCloud on the Mac. That seems to have fixed it. You might give that a shot.

When this is happening, if you look at your iCloud settings, you will likely notice that Keychain is turned off. Trying to re-enable it there will also prompt you to enter the same information (probably over and over). It seems something has changed that is tripping up the handshake/authentication for Keychain.

It is definitely some sort of Apple end bug.

Sicily1918

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Yes, this is a Catalina bug... the solution (on my iMac) was to completely log out of iCloud, reboot, and then log back in. It IS annoying, as all of my connected stuff got logged off (mainly annoying with Photos and iTunes Match, as the Mac had to re-sync all over again). Photos is especially bad, as it's 'uploading' everything again in order to verify that, yes, these are the SAME pictures already there and should be ignored. At least with Music, it checked the list, found nothing different, and went on its merry way.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
... the solution (on my iMac) was to completely log out of iCloud, reboot, and then log back in. It IS annoying, as all of my connected stuff got logged off (mainly annoying with Photos and iTunes Match, as the Mac had to re-sync all over again). Photos is especially bad, as it's 'uploading' everything again in order to verify that, yes, these are the SAME pictures already there and should be ignored.

I don't have Catalina, but this has happened to me in the past, and the worst part was that I had to temporarily increase my iCloud storage tier, as I was getting an error message that there was not enough space and would not even bother trying to check to see if the photos were identical until I gave iCloud more storage space. I hope that Catalina has at least solved that issue.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods