See if your Mac can run MacOS Catalina

Bla1ze

Staff member
Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
As highlighted on [URL="https://www.apple.com/macos/catalina-preview/#mn_p]Apple's macOS Catalina preview page[/URL], here are the Macs that can run MacOS Catalina.

MacBook (2015 or newer)
MacBook Air (2012 or newer)
MacBook Pro (2012 or newer)
Mac mini (2012 or newer)
iMac (2012 or newer)
iMac Pro (2017 or newer)
Mac Pro (2013 or newer)

Catalina-Macs-l.jpg

mbrannigan

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
i have a late 2013 imac but Catalina is basically unusably slow. I talked with apple support for about an hour and we did nvram rest, SMC reset and I was asked to complete a full backup. the backup took most of the day with timemachine (getting slower). I can run TOP in unix and activity monitor but cannot see the obvious resource hog and conclude it is OSX itself. have also done a recovery re-install.

The opera browser might be an issue.

Thinking to revert to Mojave (with USB install) unless a new Catalina is coming soon and WONT be installing on my MacBook air or I'll have no functioning computers.

mbrannigan

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
This seems like the time I upgraded my white macbook beyond Snow Leopard. I reverted multiple times and then just left it at SL as a legacy unit. maybe I could use a Plex server with SSD upgrade as quite fast.

Might be at the tipping point for late 2013 imac's, could be catalina bugs. I could wait for the catalina patch release or revert to Mojave. my imac has heaps of free disk space and 16GB memory.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
i have a late 2013 imac but Catalina is basically unusably slow. I talked with apple support for about an hour and we did nvram rest, SMC reset and I was asked to complete a full backup. the backup took most of the day with timemachine (getting slower). I can run TOP in unix and activity monitor but cannot see the obvious resource hog and conclude it is OSX itself. have also done a recovery re-install.

Thinking to revert to Mojave (with USB install) unless a new Catalina is coming soon and WONT be installing on my MacBook air or I'll have no functioning computers.

Wow...this is interesting! I have a late 2012 MBA & it works flawlessly. I wonder if there are any others with older machines having issues.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site

Is your iMac using a spinning drive or an SSD? It might be normal in the former case, especially in the first couple of days as Catalina will rescan all your photos in the Photos.app.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Is your iMac using a spinning drive or an SSD? It might be normal in the former case, especially in the first couple of days as Catalina will rescan all your photos in the Photos.app.

SSD & my machine is actually mid 2012. I misspoke and said late 2012 previously.

mbrannigan

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
spinning drive. I noticed that the siri indexing took forever.

Also, it seems to be rebuilding the index too often so when I press command-space, it often see it is "Indexing..."

mbrannigan

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Yes, this seems to have worked. Certainly this is the last upgrade for this machine - the old spinning drive just cannot cut it and provide a fluid experience.