My Review of the 12” MacBook Pro 7 months later

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Time for a mini review or review update after 7 months of use. I'm probably a demanding user but not a video or graphics pro. I'm often using a virtual machine and all the tools to run an enterprise with 650+ employees.

To start, I'm sure glad I did not get an iPad Pro or Surface though both are great products. The tiny MacBook just does more. I have all I need for VMware, Windows, UNIX and desktop admin as well as project planning and staff things.

The MacBooks is particularly sweet if you travel or more around a lot in your work day and battery life seems better with "Sierra".

I don't miss ports. The one multi-function dongle lets me charge, do old fashioned serial, more.

It could be argued that it's premium price. If so I'd say same for all the nicest portable devices and this just does the best for someone with lots of needs such as my work.

The weight is frosting on the cake if you dash to a meeting, ride a bike, or don't like to carry much in airports.

It's official. I have the gen 2 little MacBook in the "shut up and buy it" class of gear.

:)

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Re: 7 months later review.

Thank you for sharing this. Hopefully others will read this and can help base their decision on purchasing by it.

ab06deg1

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site

I did it :) well...actually I was 95% fixed on this but some people were telling me that it's more for teenagers and I should get the pro - the "true" laptop instead of the "fashion". But the portability of nMB is more useful to me that the extra power offered by MBP.
It's my first Mac, I hope everything will be OK :)
Oh..I didn't bought any adapters, I'm trying to skip #donglegate :)
So thank you, imwjl, to help me decide. If you can manage to get your job done, so will I on a much smaller level.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site

I did it :) well...actually I was 95% fixed on this but some people were telling me that it's more for teenagers and I should get the pro - the "true" laptop instead of the "fashion". But the portability of nMB is more useful to me that the extra power offered by MBP.
It's my first Mac, I hope everything will be OK :)
Oh..I didn't bought any adapters, I'm trying to skip #donglegate :)
So thank you, imwjl, to help me decide. If you can manage to get your job done, so will I on a much smaller level.

IIRC, adapters are at reduced cost right now and you might want one so you can charge and use a Time Machine drive at same time. Remember this on importance of a Time Machine drive: Backing up is not just for truck drivers.

On fashion, I enjoyed the color options but I've always considered this computer a tool. I couldn't do a pink phone but thought about it for the laptop. Grey won.

hinesmj

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site

Great review. Thanks. I'm debating getting one of these for my grad classes. Seems like it be great to take notes on.

geelmeel

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site

Great review. What configuration did you go with? I’m definitely buying one and want to be able to run vms smoothly. How smooth have they been?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice