My daughter is starting college this year at Ball State. As of now pre-med. Money as you know is tight, so we don't want more computer than absolutely necessary. But, from what I've read adding isn't easy, so we don't want the cheapest out there if it will not be what she needs. Any suggestions appreciated.
    07-22-2015 09:06 PM
    To be quite frank, it is somewhat difficult to pinpoint exactly which model to recommend without knowing her specific needs and planned usage. Having said that, any current model sold at the Apple Store or places like Best buy should be sufficient for educational purposes. With that in mind, make sure it has a minimum of 8 GB RAM.

Maybe something like this:
    Apple MacBook Pro with Retina display Latest Model 13.3" Display 8GB Memory 256GB Flash Storage Silver MF840LLA - Best Buy

or

Apple MacBook Pro with Retina display Latest Model 13.3" Display 8GB Memory 128GB Flash Storage Silver MF839LLA - Best Buy
    07-22-2015 09:29 PM
    When it comes to getting a Mac you know you will get your moneys worth so that is a good start. I always recommend getting the most your budget will allow on the parts that can't be changed (on Macs). RAM is soldered on, Flash Memory can be a challenge too.

Its possible a MBP 13" or MBA would do the job, if she is doing most web, email, word, excel, etc, etc. If she needs any major graphics support then the higher end MBP is what you would want.

I have had the first MBA and found it to be quite capable. I have a Mid 2014 MBP 15" 16GB RAM, etc because I do a lot of video conversion and I needed a portable desktop.

I hope my input has helped.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    07-22-2015 09:43 PM
    Make sure you check out Apple's Refurbished Computers! They are really good deals, you would not be able to tell the difference between a refurb and a new one.

apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

I'd recommend a MacBook Air or Pro with a SSD and at least 8gb RAM.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    07-22-2015 10:14 PM
    I think the refurb also come with a 1 year warranty.
    07-22-2015 11:54 PM
    They do come with the one year warrantee

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    07-23-2015 12:41 AM
    To be quite frank, it is somewhat difficult to pinpoint exactly which model to recommend without knowing her specific needs and planned usage.
    Can not agree more, knowing her specific needs and planned usage is the first step
    08-06-2015 01:58 AM