Help with Mac purchase. I do not want to get more computer than needed. Which should I get?

I

iMore Question

Help with Mac purchase. I do not want to get more computer than needed.

My daughter is starting college this year at Ball State. As of now pre-med. Money as you know is tight, so we don't want more computer than absolutely necessary. But, from what I've read adding isn't easy, so we don't want the cheapest out there if it will not be what she needs. Any suggestions appreciated.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Help with Mac purchase. I do not want to get more computer than needed.

To be quite frank, it is somewhat difficult to pinpoint exactly which model to recommend without knowing her specific needs and planned usage. Having said that, any current model sold at the Apple Store or places like Best buy should be sufficient for educational purposes. With that in mind, make sure it has a minimum of 8 GB RAM.

Maybe something like this:
Apple MacBook Pro with Retina display Latest Model 13.3" Display 8GB Memory 256GB Flash Storage Silver MF840LLA - Best Buy

or

Apple MacBook Pro with Retina display Latest Model 13.3" Display 8GB Memory 128GB Flash Storage Silver MF839LLA - Best Buy

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site

When it comes to getting a Mac you know you will get your moneys worth so that is a good start. I always recommend getting the most your budget will allow on the parts that can't be changed (on Macs). RAM is soldered on, Flash Memory can be a challenge too.

Its possible a MBP 13" or MBA would do the job, if she is doing most web, email, word, excel, etc, etc. If she needs any major graphics support then the higher end MBP is what you would want.

I have had the first MBA and found it to be quite capable. I have a Mid 2014 MBP 15" 16GB RAM, etc because I do a lot of video conversion and I needed a portable desktop.

I hope my input has helped.

Sniper1918

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site

Make sure you check out Apple's Refurbished Computers! They are really good deals, you would not be able to tell the difference between a refurb and a new one.

apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

I'd recommend a MacBook Air or Pro with a SSD and at least 8gb RAM.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

I think the refurb also come with a 1 year warranty.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

They do come with the one year warrantee

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cocoparkjacky

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

To be quite frank, it is somewhat difficult to pinpoint exactly which model to recommend without knowing her specific needs and planned usage.

Can not agree more, knowing her specific needs and planned usage is the first step

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73