Should I Switch to rMB?

anon(4676346)

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm currently on a late 2012 15'' rMBP.

2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

I bought the computer mostly because I thought I would be doing a ton of video editing, but that never happened. Usually I do word processing, document design in Adobe InDesign (occasional small logos in Adobe Illustrator), lots of email, and small apps like Tweetbot or Omnifocus. I do a ton of web browsing and watch mostly 1080p video.

Here's the deal, I've been with my rMBP for 3 years now and I'm no longer satisfied with the heft of the computer. I've got screen ghosting and a few white spots (areas with brighter pixels). The screen has been replaced 3 times and I'm now way out of warranty. I could absolutely suck it up and survive another year, but I'm thinking hard about the new Macbook. I purchased an iPad last summer to do most of my work on but found that not having a keyboard with an amazing trackpad just didn't cut it. I'm going to experiment with multi tasking on the iPad Air but I'm still not a fan of reaching up and tapping the screen to do anything.

What I would like is to have my rMB, do the things I'm doing currently and hook it up in clamshell mode to a 28 inch, SST UHD display. 9to5mac.com says its possible:
If you want 60Hz [4k] on the new 12-inch MacBook, you’ll need an SST display, DisplayPort cable, and OS X 10.10.3. Although you’ll also need to get an adapter in order to go from the 12-inch MacBook’s 1 USB-C port to DisplayPort on the display— like this one.
From Apple...
Supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 3840 by 2160 pixels on an external display

I've used the trackpad and keyboard extensively in the Apple Store (spent an hour on a machine doing some work stuff), live pretty much all in either Dropbox, Google Drive, or iCloud respectively, never use the webcam (except for occasional FaceTime calls), and only have ever plugged my rMBP into a display.

This article made me rethink the switch (I wasn't going to before I read this).

Everything being said, I'm worried about the speed. I've heard mixed reviews from most but it seems like people general seem ok with it. As long as it works and I don't notice the processor, I'm happy. I don't do gaming or video edition or anything like that.

What do you guys think?

EDIT: this guy seems to have good feelings about the speed. Anyone tried using AI or inDesign?

EDIT 2: I noticed iMore had a Geekbench profile so I did one on my machine. Looks like each core is relatively the same. Really then I'd be going from a quad core to a dual core.

rMB 2015 --> https://www.dropbox.com/s/3437wjevg4e6rgf/iMore rMB 2015.jpg?dl=0
rMBP 2012 --> https://www.dropbox.com/s/bnb0r1ne01ds57b/rMBP 2012.png?dl=0
rMBP 2015 --> http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/2595009

Comparison http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/compare/2768748?baseline=2769622

Edit: I have considered the 13'' rMBP but haven't seen any reason to move to it just for the size. I could wait a year or two with the 15'' rMBP and simply loose a bit of transportability.

As for processor heavy apps like inDesign, my rMBP rarely gets close to a full processor load. Usually less than half which seems to be right about what the maximum of the rMB would have.

I'm wondering about the UI lag myself. When I used it in the store I had 0 issues, even when exporting and process a Final Cut Pro File. When I opened a bunch of other apps at the same time, then I started noticing that glitch. If Apple says it can support it, wouldn't you think it'd be possible? I plan on running in clamshell so maybe that'll make things smoother?

Here is a quote from the article that makes me think...
You shouldn’t expect anything incredible out of the new MacBook — rendering video is probably not a good idea — but it’s a good all-round performer. For those, like me, that don’t do much on their computers outside of internet, writing, document editing and a little photo editing, it’s great.

In fact, I tried to push it to the edge and found it was good enough at most tasks that you’ll probably get away with it. I compiled a few apps I’m working on in XCode, watched HD movies and did my Web development like I normally would… just don’t try to do them all at once.
Buy and try seems to be the only real option for me lol.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yep, buy it and try it out. If you like it, keep. If you don't, return it before the return period is up.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I'm trying to decide a similar thing. I have a late 2011 MBP (pre-retina). I'm trying to decide between the 13" rMBP and the 12" MB.

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Just my opinion, the 12-inch MacBook is for people that know it's the computer for them. If you are in serious doubt, more than likely a MacBook Pro would be a better fit.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Just my opinion, the 12-inch MacBook is for people that know it's the computer for them. If you are in serious doubt, more than likely a MacBook Pro would be a better fit.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. Remember, it only has ONE port.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

I don't really agree with this honestly...I have a friend who has owned MBP's for years, and when this computer came out, he went and bought it and realized that what it does is perfect for him. He actually went into the Apple store to buy a newer MBP with the haptic touchpad, and left with the regular Macbook, and said he is absolutely satisfied with it's abilities and performance.

I honestly don't think you can apply any one set of pre-purchase criteria to a general group of people. Like my friend, someone might own a MBP but may not need the functionality of such in all ways, and may prefer the more mobile Macbook.

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I have a MacBook Pro 13" and now a MacBook . It is a very nice piece of equipment. The speakers sound great and it is dead quiet. I mean I am running two safari windows and a iTunes movie while downloading a 2gb file and the MacBook is silent. Love it👍🏻

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't really agree with this honestly...I have a friend who has owned MBP's for years, and when this computer came out, he went and bought it and realized that what it does is perfect for him. He actually went into the Apple store to buy a newer MBP with the haptic touchpad, and left with the regular Macbook, and said he is absolutely satisfied with it's abilities and performance.

I honestly don't think you can apply any one set of pre-purchase criteria to a general group of people. Like my friend, someone might own a MBP but may not need the functionality of such in all ways, and may prefer the more mobile Macbook.

I agree you cannot apply "one set of pre-purchase criteria" to everyone; however, what I've discovered over the last thirty years of working, helping, and advising individuals with technological purchases/decisions is this: When someone is really struggling to make a choice, rarely is the lesser option the "better" option.

Moreover, much like designing a network for a company, you always calculate for 10-15% growth--depending on their business plan. If you leave no room for growth, you didn't do your job properly. So if you purchase a computer, phone, etc., with only today in mind, more than likely you'll be disappointed tomorrow.

Therefore, in this case, I would adhere to my original opinion. (...the 12-inch MacBook is for people that [already] know it's the computer for them.)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I agree you cannot apply "one set of pre-purchase criteria" to everyone; however, what I've discovered over the last thirty years of working, helping, and advising individuals with technological purchases/decisions is this: When someone is really struggling to make a choice, rarely is the lesser option the "better" option.

Moreover, much like designing a network for a company, you always calculate for 10-15% growth--depending on their business plan. If you leave no room for growth, you didn't do your job properly. So if you purchase a computer, phone, etc., with only today in mind, more than likely you'll be disappointed tomorrow.

Therefore, in this case, I would adhere to my original opinion. (...the 12-inch MacBook is for people that [already] know it's the computer for them.)

That's still just placing a singular criterial approach to the situation...but if that is your opinion, so be it. I just disagree. I don't think this is a "lesser" option, I just think it focuses on different preferences and wants/needs. Many consumers don't need the horsepower a MBP will provide...ever...and would rather have a smaller/lighter package with less moving parts so it's mobile friendly for their more pedestrian uses with occasional dabbling in more resource hungry activities (which this computer can do just fine).

Your approach seems to point more towards the idea of buying the best option you can afford within your budget...but when you're a consumer who has plenty of money for both, the choice becomes much more individualized, and less blanket.

Robster33

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
I am happy with my decision to sell my April 2013 15" MBPr for the 1.2/512 rMB. Sure its a bit slower for some things but for my uses i am very happy. Will probably get a 21" iMac Retina if they make one till then this is my only machine.
My uses are if helps anyone:
email
Word
iphoto/imovie
safari
Netflix
Messages/calls with my 6 Plus
iBooks/Kindle
Sonos
Spotify
iTunes
Maps
Radio
Foxtel (pay tv Australia)
Printer/scanner (Wireless)
Airplay

Have only used the port for charging, syncing iPhone movies/photos and back up. My only other use will be usb to my Sony camera for photos.

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I am happy with my decision to sell my April 2013 15" MBPr for the 1.2/512 rMB. Sure its a bit slower for some things but for my uses i am very happy. Will probably get a 21" iMac Retina if they make one till then this is my only machine.
My uses are if helps anyone:
email
Word
iphoto/imovie
safari
Netflix
Messages/calls with my 6 Plus
iBooks/Kindle
Sonos
Spotify
iTunes
Maps
Radio
Foxtel (pay tv Australia)
Printer/scanner (Wireless)
Airplay

Have only used the port for charging, syncing iPhone movies/photos and back up. My only other use will be usb to my Sony camera for photos.

Thanks you for sharing your uses with us. I'm glad you're happy with your laptop.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I want the new MacBook but the one port suddenly has me thinking. I often charge two phones at a time. Or my iPhone and my iPad. Or use my usb and external hard drive. It might not be a good fit for me.
So I'm back to square one.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I want the new MacBook but the one port suddenly has me thinking. I often charge two phones at a time. Or my iPhone and my iPad. Or use my usb and external hard drive. It might not be a good fit for me.
So I'm back to square one.

They have a slew of multi-port adapters for it, so that might be a good option if you really did want this notebook.

eastbayrae

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I was going to get it and sell my late '13 rMBP 13" until I realized the 'new' ones are using two year old CPU's/GPU's. Pretty disappointing.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW