New MacBook or another MacBook Pro?

I

iMore Question

I am trying to decide which computer to buy. I have a late 2013 MacBook Pro 13" w/4GB and 126flash. I am not a "gamer," do very little with iPhoto, almost no editing; have about 4000 songs on iMusic; do not store movies etc.. I am a writer (a lot of word stuff). I sit with my lap-top literally on my lap and write, sometimes while listening to music. All of that to say, I know nothing of the new 12" MacBook, but it seems like a good choice for me instead of another Pro. What does anyone think out there? I know I need 8GB and 256flash.

Hendri Hendri

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
Re: New MacBook or another MacBook Pro???

For writing new macbook will be comfortable and nice ;) beautiful, thin, light, nice keyboard and new touchpad. But for gaming, editing, huge file transfer, would be better with pro

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I'm with Karen. I recommend keeping your current MacBook Pro. You're not doing enough to warrant a new computer, in my opinion. Having said that, if you must upgrade, I think you'd be better off with the new MacBook. The Pro is definitely overkill for your usage....;)

Robotb52

Jul 25, 2015
Visit site

Most of these questions don't have feedback from the questioner. In fact we can learn from your experience!

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I am pretty sure you can upgrade your ssd in that model. It might cost a bunch to do it , but you wouldn't be spending $1400. It isn't very hard to do it yourself. I am not sure if you can upgrade the ram though.

Channan

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site

The Pro is overkill for those uses. Although your existing Pro should be more than up to those tasks. Why do you want to change? The newly announced MacBook would actually be slower than your current one (although it would have more RAM). If the main reason you want to "upgrade" is for storage space, I'd recommend getting an external drive or making use of cloud services.

This is almost exactly what I was thinking. Unless you just need an extremely thin and light computer, your current MBP sounds more than adequate for the uses you described. 4GB of memory should also be fine.

The late 2013 rMBP is still a fine laptop. Same one I have. If you really just want thin and light, I'd wait a year or two for Apple to put a stronger processor in the rMB and then upgrade to that.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner