What do you think about only one port?

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
So now we know the new 12" MacBook only has one port, and that's the USB Type C which is not yet really in wide use.

How do you feel about this? Will it influence your choice of this device over another in the range or something else entirely?

Personally, I would be happier if it had two ports as it would make my life a lot easier, should I decide to get one of these beautiful looking laptops. If I get a Mac, it's likely to be a MacBook Pro Retina currently as I've not seen anything about this new 12" MacBook that makes me want it over the MBPr

As USB Type C is still in its infancy with regards to adoption by other manufacturers, I feel that peripherals that use this standard will be thin on the ground initially and/or expensive.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
The Apple adapters pricing is a wee bit high... As USB-c is adopted, there will be more options, less expensive options...and that will be a good thing.

zhelf

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2009
Visit site
I think this being a first gen product the concept of an entirely wireless word is nice but can almost guarantee in 2016 we will see the addition of a second port but this is mainly for students or people writing where you won't need 10 peripherals plugged in. This will probably replace the macbook air next year frankly it should no reason for both products and then if you need to actually use the computer you buy a mbp if you just need a computer for travel and lightweight you buy this. I actually really like it and the thought of it charging on USB c especially if the new iPhone switches to that as well tat would be great

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I don't like it. I don't have anything against USB-C persay but unless we get a lot more wireless technology, I am going to need more than one port.

The Chromebook Pixel 2 sports two USB-C ports (along with a host of other ports). Imagine how much more versatile the MBr would be with two ports. I think what minor increase in thickness this would amount to would be well worth it. To be honest, I love the idea of being able to arrange my power cable based on my desk and not drag it across to plug it into the one side that has the power port.

I would miss MagSafe though if USB-C became the standard for charging. MagSafe is awesome.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
For someone like me who rarely attaches any peripherals to my MacBook, it's not a problem. Having said that, I do hope that converters become readily available in case I do...;)

Last edited:

agarwal.apar

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Another money making option for Apple in adapters/accessories and for 3rd party vendors as well!! I am happy with my MacBook Air 13"

I just hope Apple continue to make MacBook Pros in future with enough ports!

shief24

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't buy it just because it has one port. I get that the battery is great but if I am charging my mac you mean to tell me I can't plug a usb drive in there at the same time? They should have stuck another port on the side. I do realize the Macbook wasn't made for someone like me but to each his own. It has a great design.

PortCity79

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I think the one port is an experiment for Apple. If the MacBook doesn't meet sales goals then next year it will probably have two of them. Regardless I don't see this idea being used in any of there other laptops because they are marketed to a different crowd.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
The only problem I see with the new MacBook is the lack of a 1tb ssd configuration.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I would miss MagSafe though if USB-C became the standard for charging. MagSafe is awesome.

This would be the thing I'd miss most if all future MacBooks don't have this anymore once I'm ready to upgrade. MagSafe has saved me literally dozens of times from completely shattering my Macbook.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Apple has seriously dropped the ball with this product, i mean it's honestly completely and utterly useless. Sure its nice looking and it's very thin (does it bend?) but if you look at it practically it horrendous.

NO standard usb 3.0 for the 99% of USB drives out there?
NO SD card slot for your camera?
NO ethernet port?
480P camera!!!

Quite honestly i looked at the price for a Macbook Pro and you are getting so so much more value for your money. i mean it comes with 1.5GB graphics card (13" inch model)... all the ports you need.... and has a long battery life.

I don't see any possible reason why you would want to purchase this device. the difference in weight is not big IMO and thats not even close enough of a "pro" to outweigh all the negatives.

i personally own a MAacBook Pro and love it to bits but apple... i need my ports.. there comes a stage when its stupidly thin and apple need to get out of this mind set of "thinner is better" THINNER IS NOT BETTER when you are already below 1 inch in thickness. Make the device thicker and put a bigger battery in :)

Rant over :D

Murray Simpson

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
Definitely not in favor of just one USB port. I'm always connecting to different peripherals for work and don't really want to use an extra device to get more than one at the same time.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
So now we know the new 12" MacBook only has one port, and that's the USB Type C which is not yet really in wide use.

How do you feel about this? Will it influence your choice of this device over another in the range or something else entirely?

Personally, I would be happier if it had two ports as it would make my life a lot easier, should I decide to get one of these beautiful looking laptops. If I get a Mac, it's likely to be a MacBook Pro Retina currently as I've not seen anything about this new 12" MacBook that makes me want it over the MBPr

As USB Type C is still in its infancy with regards to adoption by other manufacturers, I feel that peripherals that use this standard will be thin on the ground initially and/or expensive.

Thoughts?

USB-C is new. As was FireWire. And Thunderbolt. And Lightning. It will evolve and be solid. In the meantime, I'd love to see some sort of USB-C dock for the new MacBook. That would solve the "only one obscure connection port" issue for the short term.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand why people, who are not in the market for this kind of machine, are b*tching and complaining about it...lol! Why do some of you think this is the only computer Apple is going to carry anymore?

You know what I think about the single port? I don't think ANYTHING about it because I will never own this computer! The single port probably works great for people who don't use their computers for anything but web browsing, emails and the occasional little dabble in basic programs like iWork, Office and iLife.

Someone said that Apple really "dropped the ball" on this machine...how do you figure? They still carry two models that fit the needs you described you preferred...are they not allowed to have other models for other consumers that differ from yourself?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand why people, who are not in the market for this kind of machine, are b*tching and complaining about it...lol! Why do some of you think this is the only computer Apple is going to carry anymore?
Dude, if I could shake your hand right now, your whole arm would fall off...;)

You know what I think about the single port? I don't think ANYTHING about it because I will never own this computer! The single port probably works great for people who don't use their computers for anything but web browsing, emails and the occasional little dabble in basic programs like iWork, Office and iLife.
...and for people who don't connect peripherals to their computer as well as those who simply want this machine.

Someone said that Apple really "dropped the ball" on this machine...how do you figure? They still carry two models that fit the needs you described you preferred...are they not allowed to have other models for other consumers that differ from yourself?
There you go again using "common sense". Don't you know that's not allowed these days?...(laughing)

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
My favorite part about some of the people that aren't interested in it are the ones who aren't interested in it AND are furious that it exists.

Get a grip.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73