What do you think of the new MacBook?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
As the title asks, what do you think of the new 2 lb. all metal MacBook? Specifically, your initial impressions.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Very nice. My concern is the keyboard ending right at the edges on both sides which would take some getting used to.

I like the spread of the keyboard, and I don't foresee it being a concern, at least not for me. I just wish it had maintained the 13.3-inch display size.

AugustVance

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I was impressed at the (lack there of) thickness. The retina display. But that processor gets in the way of getting my money. Looks like I am going to purchase a new macbook air (or pro 13") with the updated processors.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I was impressed at the (lack there of) thickness. The retina display. But that processor gets in the way of getting my money. Looks like I am going to purchase a new macbook air (or pro 13") with the updated processors.

Do you think that the new device will underperform with the specs it comes with, specifically the processor?

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Its definitely innovative in my opinion. The battery setup, trackpad, micro logic board. The USB C. I think I would still go with a MBA like I did in November for the ports for my personal needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Do you think that the new device will underperform with the specs it comes with, specifically the processor?

I don't think so but I guess it depends on what one is doing. I can run Logic Pro on my MBA 11 inch flawlessly with 60 tracks with power to spare. I'm sure the New MacBook can do it and more.

PortCity79

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
It looks good but it is priced the same as the Mac Pro with Retina. Being at the same price and having the same features and battery life I would take the Mac Pro with Retina. To me the lower weight isn't an equal trade off.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't think so but I guess it depends on what one is doing. I can run Logic Pro on my MBA 11 inch flawlessly with 60 tracks with power to spare. I'm sure the New MacBook can do it and more.

I don't have a MacBook but want to get one for Logic Pro and Final Cut. Interesting that you can run Logic on an Air without issue as everyone seems to be saying the MacBook Pro is the one for that.

I do like the Gold MacBook but the lack of more ports is a huge turn off for me and renders the unit useless. I need an absolute minimum of two USB ports for the peripherals I have. I can't see anything that would make me buy this over the more powerful, larger screened 13" MBPr for the same money. It's really not that much heavier than the new MacBook in real worlkd portability terms.

Last edited:

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a MacBook but want to get one for Logic Pro and Final Cut. Interesting that you can run Logic on an Air without issue as everyone seems to be saying the MacBook Pro is the one for that.

I do like the Gold MacBook but the lack of more ports is a huge turn off for me and renders the unit useless. I need an absolute minimum of two USB ports for the peripherals I have.

I even put 30 instances of Space Designer Reverb on the session just to see if the processor would spike and it didn't. It hit the halfway mark.
All of this was on the MBA internal 128 SSD.
There are vids on YouTube of guys playing huge Protools session on the MBA 2011.
I got my MBA just for internet stuff and some lightweight Garage Band stuff but I was shocked what it did with Logic Pro. With the MBP you can probably go nuts with it.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I even put 30 instances of Space Designer Reverb on the session just to see if the processor would spike and it didn't. It hit the halfway mark.
All of this was on the MBA internal 128 SSD.
There are vids on YouTube of guys playing huge Protools session on the MBA 2011.
I got my MBA just for internet stuff and some lightweight Garage Band stuff but I was shocked what it did with Logic Pro. With the MBP you can probably go nuts with it.

I'm really pleased to hear this, mate, I really am. Thanks.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm really pleased to hear this, mate, I really am. Thanks.

As far as Final Cut. I don't know how it would perform. I know video can be more intense than audio. I've never used FCP. I used iMovie once for a family video lol

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods