What do you think of the new MacBook?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Core M is kinda weak

Kinda weak is not the same as being weak. Also, how many people will truly "need" more than it offers? Take me for example. I am still using a MacBook that I bought brand new in February 2009. That's 6 years ago. It has a total of 4 gigs of RAM and is currently running OS X Yosemite without any issues. Getting the new MacBook to replace my old MacBook after 6 years makes sense, and the new MacBook will be more device than I "need" being that my current 6 year old device is sufficient. Know what I mean?

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Kinda weak is not the same as being weak. Also, how many people will truly "need" more than it offers? Take me for example. I am still using a MacBook that I bought brand new in February 2009. That's 6 years ago. It has a total of 4 gigs of RAM and is currently running OS X Yosemite without any issues. Getting the new MacBook to replace my old MacBook after 6 years makes sense, and the new MacBook will be more device than I "need" being that my current 6 year old device is sufficient. Know what I mean?

You gonna get the gold one so I can live vicariously through you

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk

JoePa2624

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
I'm really impressed with the hardware. Only a couple questions need answering before I place my order.

I'm curious to see how that processor runs at only 1.2ghz.

I really think the MacBook stole the show today, as the Apple Watch is nothing special as far as I can tell.

shief24

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
In Canada its $1549. If I was in the market I'd probably end up getting the Macbook Pro because of the specs. The Macbook has 512gb storage which is great but I'll pass that up. It's not worth the price with those specs and less ports. For the US price its more reasonable. Canadian dollar problems..

melbsteve

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
How do you connect your iPhone or iPad to sync it?

well you can do that wireless by now (which is the direction Apple are trying to push for) but alternatively you would have to buy an additional adapter ($79?) that converts the USB C thingy into a standard USB... which is a bit of a nuisance I would say. Then again Apple have been slated for imposing these trends on consumers often enough and sooner or later everybody else has done the same and it turned out they were right.

I'm all in for this one, have been waiting for a MBA with retina for about 2 years now (still own a 2010 MBP) and sworn myself that I'd upgrade as soon as, but also not before that retina air happens. This baby looks perfect (visually especially) and even though slower than my 2010 processor (which has 2.66ghz, 8GB memory) on paper, I'm sure it'll feel very snappy and quick. Going for space grey.

ps does anyone know when pre orders for the MacBook start? I can't find it anywhere, and Apple didn't communicate it either?

anon8656116

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
I hope the new MacBook stays a class of its own and won’t change too many things about the Pro series. This MacBook just screams casual user to me and makes it more like a Chromebook than anything else. Chances are, if you don't need your USB port and only do some light tasks on your computer, this MacBook will be for you. If you contemplate connecting an external drive or even a second display to it, you’re probably better off with a MacBook Pro. We have yet to see the performance of the Core M and USB-C port with an adapter connected.

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Looks absolutely stunning. Limited connectivity and relatively low-powered CPU kill it for me though.
As others have said, this laptop is great for a user who could *almost* survive with an iPad Air and Keyboard.
For anyone else though it may be a stretch.

Sanjay Chandra

May 10, 2014
Visit site

There are too many trade-offs with this. I prefer 2 year old 2013 MBA over this one tbh or rMBP.

edit :
Let me clarify this a bit.

More resolution = more stress on GPU = lesser performance and also difference b/w performance of this GPU and previous ones isn't very big to compensate high resolution performance loss.
Core M = weaker performance compared to i5 processor.
Battery life is lesser than MBA.
Force touch didn't seem to work quite well according to some people who got a slight preview. (relative to Apple' high standards).
Almost same price considering only 12 inch screen size as opposed to 13 inch screen size.
Only one port and Adapter cost $79 (more than Apple TV !!)

Sorry, too many trade-offs.

I currently use a 3 year old low-end laptop which is going to be replaced in 3-4 months and I waited for this new MBA and I am not so impressed with it. I may go for rMBP or normal MBA.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
So we are agreeing here, right ? its better to get 2 years old 2013 Macbook Air so that it will last longer than current new model because its stronger in performance.

I agree that depending on your computing needs, it may be better to get the 2013 MacBook Air. In my case, however, it is not. I will be upgrading from a MacBook (non-Pro version) to the newest MacBook, also a non-Pro version. The specs are irrelevant in my regards because if I can satisfy my computing needs with a machine that's 6 years old and only has 4 gigs of RAM, the newest MacBook will be a significant upgrade for "me".

Sanjay Chandra

May 10, 2014
Visit site
I agree that depending on your computing needs, it may be better to get the 2013 MacBook Air. In my case, however, it is not. I will be upgrading from a MacBook (non-Pro version) to the newest MacBook, also a non-Pro version. The specs are irrelevant in my regards because if I can satisfy my computing needs with a machine that's 6 years old and only has 4 gigs of RAM, the newest MacBook will be a significant upgrade for "me".

I have edited.

T1ck_T0ck

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
It looks good but it is priced the same as the Mac Pro with Retina. Being at the same price and having the same features and battery life I would take the Mac Pro with Retina. To me the lower weight isn't an equal trade off.

This is exactly what I think. $1,300 for the Air is too high of a starting price point and won't entice buyers from the Pro that well.

boovish

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
I like it, but I would very much prefer that it had at least had some sort of MagSafe 3.0, and came with a dongle for USB. Besides that, I want one. Too bad I'm not getting a new computer for another 2 years. I love the design of my plastic MacBook from late 2009. I kinda wish they made the new as a Plastic one, with the single rubber foot, and the all metal one was the new MacBook Air

Channan

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Looks very nice, but I just got a new rMBP last year. Other than the size and weight of the MacBook, it would be an all-around downgrade over my rMBP.

co4nd

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
My big question is why? the Air is better and thin enough, they could have just updated the colors on it. As far as retina, it's fine for the pros but not worth the GPU hit on an already stretched processor.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods