I am trying to install Mavericks on an Aluminum MacBook 5,1. It was built supposedly early 2009. It has 4 GB of RAM. It is now running Snow Leopard.
    I have read the specs for Mavericks and Mountain Lion from different sites.
    This laptop should be support either operating system according to what I read.
    I keep getting an error message when I start to install, that Mavericks cannot be installed on this device. I do not want to buy Mountain Lion, if it will give the same message. The specs for Mountain Lion are the same as Mavericks.
    So what am I missing in the specs or the install that is stopping the install?
    Thanks in advance.
    Don
    01-30-2014 11:18 AM
    If you have Snow Leopard v10.6.8 then you should be able to upgrade.

Upgrading from OS X Snow Leopard

If you’re running Snow Leopard (10.6.x), update to the latest version of Snow Leopard before you download OS X Mavericks from the Mac App Store. Click the Apple icon and choose Software Update to install OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8, the latest version.

Source: Apple - Upgrade your Mac to OS X Mavericks.
    01-30-2014 11:27 AM
    I am trying to install Mavericks on an Aluminum MacBook 5,1. It was built supposedly early 2009. It has 4 GB of RAM. It is now running Snow Leopard.
    I have read the specs for Mavericks and Mountain Lion from different sites.
    This laptop should be support either operating system according to what I read.
    I keep getting an error message when I start to install, that Mavericks cannot be installed on this device. I do not want to buy Mountain Lion, if it will give the same message. The specs for Mountain Lion are the same as Mavericks.
    So what am I missing in the specs or the install that is stopping the install?
    Thanks in advance.
    Don
    If you're having trouble installing OS X Mavericks, you can always go to the Apple Store and have them install it for you... It may be easier that way. What exactly happens when you try to install Mavericks?
    07-14-2014 08:56 AM