My M1 MBP is Downright Awesome, but Already Broken

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My work-issued MacBook Air was replaced today with a brand new 16 GB M1 MacBook Pro with Touch Bar and I was like a kid on Christmas morning when it was given to me still in the box and untouched. I enjoyed using it all day with the exception of not being able to use both external monitors I typically use. One of my spare hubs will take care of that so it’s not a big deal.

What is a big deal is the fact that the screen is already displaying lines and discoloration (about 1.5 inches in width) on the left side of screen. They’re going to have to send it back and get another one. Hopefully it won’t take forever to get here. Until then, they’ll have to give me back my MBA….Ugh!

Last edited:

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
What is a big deal is the fact that the screen is already displaying lines and discoloration (about 1.5 inches in width) on the left side of screen. They’re going to have to send it back and get another one. Hopefully it won’t take forever to get here. Until then, they’ll have to give me back my MBA….Ugh!
It sucks, but those things happen.

I hope that Apple has a couple of spares set aside for manufacturing defect replacements.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Congrats and what a bummer! Hopefully your new M1 MBP will be replaced in short order.

It sucks, but those things happen.

I hope that Apple has a couple of spares set aside for manufacturing defect replacements.

Yes, it is indeed a bummer but as has been stated, those things happen. I’ll simply give back the MBP and have them send it off for repair or replacement. In the meantime, I’ll get the MBA back and set it up again so I can do what I get paid to do. Life goes on… ;)

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Hope that gets resolved for you soon. That is definitely a lovely machine and I'm sure you'll greatly enjoy using!

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I’m just following up on this matter. The issue with my original work-issued M1 MBP didn’t get resolved so I was provided with a new one so you know I’m happy and pleased. Just like the first one, this one has 16 gigs of RAM as well as the Touch Bar and it’s blazingly fast.

Now I’ve got to figure a way to make it work with my two external monitors economically. Having two external monitors is a must for the things I do.

Thud Hardsmack

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2016
Visit site
I’m just following up on this matter. The issue with my original work-issued M1 MBP didn’t get resolved so I was provided with a new one so you know I’m happy and pleased. Just like the first one, this one has 16 gigs of RAM as well as the Touch Bar and it’s blazingly fast.

Now I’ve got to figure a way to make it work with my two external monitors economically. Having two external monitors is a must for the things I do.

I had to look this up because I swear I’d read that the M1 supports 2 external monitors (3 on the M1 Max). Looks like it can if you use a dock that supports it, but they’re a bit on the pricier side. Also a couple articles said it can be done by using two connectors but I’m guessing you’ve tried that already.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I had to look this up because I swear I’d read that the M1 supports 2 external monitors (3 on the M1 Max). Looks like it can if you use a dock that supports it, but they’re a bit on the pricier side. Also a couple articles said it can be done by using two connectors but I’m guessing you’ve tried that already.

Definitely. I have several USB-C hubs lying around and I’ve tried several combinations to get both monitors to work simultaneously. With that being said, while working from home, I can easily connect one monitor via a hub as well as connect a TV via AirPlay. It works flawlessly and without any lag. However, I prefer to use my other external monitor instead of the TV since I can’t use the TV when I’m at the office. I’ll figure out a way to make it work at some point without spending hundreds of dollars in the process.

Last edited:

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Definitely. I have several USB-C hubs lying around and I’ve tried several combinations to get both monitors to work simultaneously. With that being said, while working from home, I can easily connect one monitor via a hub as well as connect a TV via AirPlay. It works flawlessly and without any lag. However, I prefer to use my other external monitor instead of the TV since I can’t use the TV when I’m at the office. I’ll figure out a way to make it work at some point without spending hundreds of dollars in the process.

I am glad things are progressing for you in such a positive way!

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Having a j5Create 4K to USB Adapter ( and associated driver) plugged in to my Choetech 9 in 1 hub, I am able to have 2 external monitors working with my M1 MacBook Pro while at work so I should be able to replicate it at home. I am a happy camper right now.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don’t have a j5Create adapter at home, however, having the driver installed was good enough to get the two external monitors I have at home to also work with my M1 MBP.

2eb6873b82f00728ed81732ff2942bd7.jpg