Always plugged in

iwicked

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi folks.

So I just upgraded from my aging base model Macbook Pro 13" (late 2013) to the Macbook Pro M1. I understand the battery naturally ages over time but in order to minimize battery aging I used to have my old Macbook plugged in all the time during use.

I am planning to do the same with my new Macbook Pro but I wanted to have your thoughts about this. Will using my Macbook always plugged in adversely impact battery life or it will slow down the aging process? Or this has no discernible impact?

I would love to hear from you!

iwicked

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Wow that's interesting. I feel my previous Macbook's battery may be faring better because of having it plugged in most of the time. After 6 years I still get around 2 hours battery life when watching films. How is that?

From personal experience, it actually worsened battery aging on my 2016 MacBook Pro.

I would have a look at this page on Apple's website for tips on that :)
https://www.apple.com/ca/batteries/maximizing-performance/#mn_p

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I don't know. Maybe the way the battery is made has a huge influence on its tolerance to degradation.
I know Apple implemented some "smarts" to prevent the situation where keeping the computer constantly plugged in would overcharge the battery.

I would like for someone else to chime in with their experiences :)

FYI: After 4 years, my battery lasts about 2 hours, heavily dependent on what I do - mostly web browsing.
Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 20.19.09.png

iwicked

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for sharing this. I’m not sure if this is really good or bad lol. I’m also hoping others can share their experiences.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711