Is anyone tempted by the new 2020 MacBook Pro?

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Anyone tempted by the 2020 MacBook Pro?

I can say that it is very inviting. My current late 2016 MacBook Pro battery has degraded enough to hold 2-3 hours of charge.
My only annoyance is that they only have two Thunderbolt ports on the left side, and none on the right. I really wished they had ports on both sides.

It's 500$ less expensive than the 2019 MacBook Pro I was eyeing, and that's with the Education rebate.

bill.davis

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
Re: 2020 MacBook Pro

Not in the slightest, and I am beyond furious at Apple’s prices & direction. I have bought my last new Mac after 36 years. Crooks & idiots!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: 2020 MacBook Pro

My 2017 MacBook Pro is still going strong, but I spend more time on my 2020 iPad Pro and therefore, I’m not tempted in any way to get a new MacBook Pro.

Daedalus

Nov 10, 2020
Visit site
It is tempting but and I need to a see if I still have my management reimbursement program at work. Otherwise my 2 Macbook Pros are still just fine for what I do.

Mars20

Nov 28, 2017
Visit site
Very tempted, yes. Have been waiting for these new MacBooks since my old one died a few months ago. Think I will wait for some hands-on reviews and GeekBench figures before deciding.

St3ib

May 8, 2011
Visit site
I just ordered mine. It will be my first Mac. I just went with the base 13”. Should be here first week of Dec.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I might be tempted but I have other things that I want before I would consider a Mac. Mainly I am needing a new iPhone and a new Apple Watch and actually I think if I were going to do anything else I would get an iPad Air with a keyboard. That would be sufficient for me.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I bought a 16GB 1TB, but I think I'm taking it back. Something about the screen is giving me terrible headaches. Migraines or tension headaches...

Either it's the fact that I have to scale it to "More Space" to actually work on it (otherwise it looks like the screen of a 768p Windows Laptop), or it's the 60Hz refresh coupled with a slow pixel response causing eye strain when scrolling in the browser and whatnot. Whatever it is, this machine is killing me and I'm not sure I want to risk $2,000+ if the issue won't go away. My desktop has 2x 144Hz displays, so I'm wondering if that is the problem. I am not sure I can acclimate to this.

The machine itself is nice. Never having to worry about battery, and having something that is literally a laptop (not just figuratively) is really kind of liberating. I like Touch ID. And I actually kind of dig the Touch Bar, especially for entering things like emojis and whatnot - though the lack of function keys is an issue in software like DaVinci Resolve. However, it's really quite painful to look at. I'm typing on it now, and after about 5 minutes I can already feel my head throbbing. Maybe I just need a bigger screen. 13" might be too small for me.

So, I think I'm going to return it later and get a Razer Blade 15 instead.

Also, the bad window management in macOS is REALLY highlighted on this screen size, when you aren't using a mouse (previously only use iMacs) - but that is a minor issue.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I got a tension headache and nosebleed while using it a couple of hours ago, so I reset mine and took it back. Too bad.

I think I just cannot go back to slow 60Hz screens, at this point. I need something with a 120+ refresh rate and faster pixel response, so I’ll just have to deal with the lower battery life from a Windows laptop with a dGPU.

The MacBook felt a lot heavier than I thought it would be, too. That really surprised me.

EDIT: Mystery solved. The reason I get a headache looking at Apple's screens is because of the PWM they use for brightness adjustments, which is almost always on unless you use manual brightness and keep the brightness above 75% or so. So, unless you always keep the brightness high, I would avoid these if you are sensitive to PWM flicker, as it is unsafe and causes eye strain and headaches in people affected by it.

I think iPads and iPhones use this, as well, which explains why my iPad Air 3 does it to me - I just don't use it nearly as much as I use a Laptop or Desktop monitor. My iPhone 11 Pro gets like 5% of my use, as I'm usually using my Galaxy Note 9, which explains why I haven't noticed it as much there. Though this may only affect the LCD screens, not the OLED (so the particular iPhone model I use may be exempt from this issue).

T'ish a shame. I think the 16" MBP uses this, as well!

Last edited:

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
For sure a great and powerful machine.
I know this is and should not be the main criteria, but don't you think it's kinda .... ugly?
The new design irritates me.
My 2019 16" looks sleek and elegant, in comparison.

Now, heat on:

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711