2019 MacBook Pro 16 freezing & crashing when playing video

Adam Zeis

Administrator
Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Having a super frustrating issue with my shiny new MBP 16.. With YouTube videos, I get a video freeze while the audio continues to play (if only for a few seconds). I can't do anything other than listen to audio, no response from keyboard or anything, but the mouse still moves even though I can't click anything.

If I'm on a Google Meet video chat, often times everything will freeze, I can still hear audio, then every so often I get wicked distortion and my system reboots. Not all the time, but far too often. I'm also using a USB-C hub with various things attached to it including an external display (HDMI).

Does anyone have any suggestions? Driving me nuts and making me question coming back to Mac. Help!

Adam Zeis

Administrator
Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Well of course not, why would I do something so logical?

I plan to try that where I can this week. I use everything that's connected during a regular work day, but if it's my hub or something that would make sense.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried a different browser? It's possible that there is a (severe) bug in the video decoder that comes with the browser.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
I usually don't like answers like "mine doesn't have this problem", as they are not very helpful.
However, I too have a 16", and use an external monitor with a Belkin USB-C/HDMI-adapter, and never had these problems. Sometimes I use other peripherals, like a WD SSD drive, a BR writer, both via direct USB-C/PD connection, or a USB stick via (Apple-)dongle.
I'm watching a lot of Youtube videos and do lots of streaming. All works well.
So I don't have those many external devices attached as you seem to have simultaneously, and no hub. But before I purchased the Belkin adapter, I tried other USBC to HDMI cables and never could make such a configuration work. So I think not every device that fits into a USB-C/Thunderbolt port might be fully compatible (which is not an Apple issue, but more a general one, I think).
Therefore I BELIEVE that your external devices/hub might cause the problem, or you have a defective 16" (although that's less likely imho). But the 16" as such works pretty well.

Adam Zeis

Administrator
Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I'm leaning toward it being something with the hub or connected devices. I've moved some things around a bit and also got a USB-C <> HDMI for my monitor to test that, so we'll see if the issue persists. Thanks for your insight.

Adam Zeis

Administrator
Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Honestly don't remember if I did anything. I think I turned off hardware acceleration in Chrome but that may have been it. Haven't had the issue for quite some time now.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW