Apple just only cares about that money

anon(9918034)

Apr 22, 2018
Visit site
I have had MacBook Pro, sold it after a few months because the 2017 wasn’t any faster or better than my 2014 Mac mini I upgraded to and SSD. I still have my Mac mini, which will never get upgraded. I will never actually buy another Mac computer ever again.

It’s wild to think that I just picked up a really good gaming laptop for 950. To find something close hardware wise would be well over 2 grand if I got it in a MacBook.

I just don’t get why people pay so much money for so little computer. It’s a complete and utter rip off in my opinion. The hardware isn’t anything special built just for Apple. The processor, ram and storage for the new Mac mini cost under 300 bucks on amazon. Add a mother board a small profile case and a cooling fan. You have an a computer with the same specs for around500 that can run Mohave. Slap another 50 bucks and you can get the Broadcom card that allows hand off between Apple devices.

It just baffles my mind when ever Apple updates the computers with the cheapest hardware and slaps a premium price because of a logo. They call it the most revolutionary thing to happen.

If you want to get an idea of how crazy it is. Just google hackintosh. There are a few sites that have build guides, there are also buying guides for laptops that can run Mac OS.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Yes Apple overcharges. Not as much on the MacBooks though, especially as you start spec’ing them up. That being said, I have a late 2013 MacBook Pro that is still getting macOS updates and still runs great. So I have no need to upgrade. I’ve been through a couple Windows laptops in that time frame. To be fair, one of those was already older at the time.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
My laptop was a Toshiba but it died recently. I have not replaced it because I am not into gaming so using an iPad is more than adequate for my needs. I get what you’re saying the prices are high and I blanch at the thought of spending that much money for a laptop. However I am deeply invested in the apple ecosystem and if I were going to be purchasing a laptop or a desktop I would have to seriously consider spending that; but my guess is in the end I would go with something that wasn’t an Apple product.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Trusted Member
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I would go with something that wasn’t an Apple product

It would really depend on each individual needs. A simple laptop to do basic surfing and email, that doesn't need to be connected to Apple services, could be as little as $150 for a Chromebook. Some even go for less. $150 is kind of a sweet spot though. That usually gets you 4 GB of RAM which is enough for ChromeOS.

Now, some kind of development, then yes, one would need to go with Apple or a decent Windows laptop. For school, I am actually looking at getting a mid range Windows machine, for a couple reasons.

1. My PC, even in it's current state (I have ordered upgrade parts for it) can do what the new laptop can just as well.

2. I've always viewed laptops as disposable technology. Be it Windows or Apple, repairs or upgrades are usually out of the question due to the nature of the parts. Soldered in CPUs and now even RAM DIMMs, sealed in batteries, and Motherboards that are difficult, if not impossible to get makes things even harder.

In all honesty, I am still somewhat torn at the laptop I am looking at. I am actually considering going cheaper due to point 2.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Trusted Member
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Not as much on the MacBooks though, especially as you start spec’ing them up.

I think something that would be a turnoff for me would be the lack of a good cooling solutions for the higher end CPUs. For example, the i7 or i9 that was almost always throttling due to heat.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It baffles my mind how what others buy with their own money bothers you. The people who opt to purchase Apple products and services do not have to justify their purchase with you. It’s their choice and their decision.

Now in regard to specs, time and time again, those lower spec’d devices tend to either outperform or perform admirably to higher spec’d non-Apple devices, especially the iPhone.

Longevity and longer support are also things that people who buy Apple products enjoy. If you feel it’s a waste of money to buy Apple products then good for you. Don’t buy ‘em. At the same time, be open to the fact that a lot of people don’t feel the same way as you and it’s okay.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
It baffles my mind how what others buy with their own money bothers you. The people who opt to purchase Apple products and services do not have to justify their purchase with you. It’s their choice and their decision.

Now in regard to specs, time and time again, those lower spec’d devices tend to either outperform or perform admirably to higher spec’d non-Apple devices, especially the iPhone.

Longevity and longer support are also things that people who buy Apple products enjoy. If you feel it’s a waste of money to buy Apple products then good for you. Don’t buy ‘em. At the same time, be open to the fact that a lot of people don’t feel the same way as you and it’s okay.

You make an excellent and valid point! While I’m not I’m the market for a Mac, I fully support anyone else in getting one!

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I have had MacBook Pro, sold it after a few months because the 2017 wasn’t any faster or better than my 2014 Mac mini I upgraded to and SSD. I still have my Mac mini, which will never get upgraded. I will never actually buy another Mac computer ever again.

It’s wild to think that I just picked up a really good gaming laptop for 950. To find something close hardware wise would be well over 2 grand if I got it in a MacBook.

I just don’t get why people pay so much money for so little computer. It’s a complete and utter rip off in my opinion. The hardware isn’t anything special built just for Apple. The processor, ram and storage for the new Mac mini cost under 300 bucks on amazon. Add a mother board a small profile case and a cooling fan. You have an a computer with the same specs for around500 that can run Mohave. Slap another 50 bucks and you can get the Broadcom card that allows hand off between Apple devices.

It just baffles my mind when ever Apple updates the computers with the cheapest hardware and slaps a premium price because of a logo. They call it the most revolutionary thing to happen.

If you want to get an idea of how crazy it is. Just google hackintosh. There are a few sites that have build guides, there are also buying guides for laptops that can run Mac OS.

That's a goofy post or at least a good illustration of not looking outside one's own worldview.

Comparable products are not far off in price. I see that all the time when we buy premium Windows laptops with comparable service. My own mini is not a suitable replacement for any of my laptops.

I can certainly Google hackintosh and know a fair amount about it including being a really poor choice for most consumers - again, it's important to look in and outside of our typical worldview.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Well, let's see.......I have a 2011 iMac and a 2011 Mac Mini. Both came with standard hard drives and 8 gigs of ram. For maybe $100 each I upgraded them with 500 gig SSD and 16 gigs of ram. I also have a 2016 MacBook Pro and a 2018 Mac Mini. Both of them were built with i7 processors, 500 gig SSD's and 32 gigs ram. As a photographer, a Windows machine just wont process photos and videos like a Mac will. Trust me, I've tried. In this same 8 years I've gone through several Windows laptops and desktops. Why do I still use Apple products? Simple. They work and they last.

You do have a valid pint of view. Yes, they are highly overpriced. Let me say that again, HIGHLY OVERPRICED! However, Apple apparently knows how to build them to work and last. And as long as they keep doing that, people will keep on paying whatever price tag Apple puts on their products.

There are also thousands of horror stories out there about a brand new device having issues or suddenly stops working. Unfortunately on a forum we only get one side of the story. I'm not saying that anyone lies, or isn't telling all the details, but we can only go by what we read on the internet.

But what I can say is that in the past 8 years Ive had 0 issues with any of my Apple devices.

Unfortunately I cannot say the same for Windows devices.

Bottom line is, don't like it, then don't buy it.

PS - as for Hackintosh, you are more than welcome to go that route......if you want something that performs even worse than Windows.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
LOL, am I missing something here? I thought all companies "care about that money", isn't that why they go into business? It certainly isn't to break even...LOL

MasterDarque

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
LOL, am I missing something here? I thought all companies "care about that money", isn't that why they go into business? It certainly isn't to break even...LOL

I think that you’re missing that someone was looking for the MacRumors forums, and ended up here...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods