To Buy MacBook with Touch Bar or not

biancapie94

Mar 24, 2019
Visit site
I’m wanting to by a new MacBook Air or MacBook Pro. But I’m unsure with the MacBook Pro to buy the MacBook Pro with or with out the Touch Bar

Can someone give me advice if it’s worth getting the MacBook Pro with out a Touch Bar

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Let's start with your computing needs. If you're simply going to be surfing the web, emailing, creating & maintaining documents, spreadsheets & presentations, etcetera as well as listen to some music and watch some videos then a MacBook Air with 8 GBs of RAM is more than sufficient, in my opinion.

As for the MacBook Pro, I have 2017 MacBook Pro w/out the Touch Bar and I love it. A colleague has the same MacBook Pro, but with the Touch Bar and he showed me some of the things he could do with it and it was impressive. Having said that, I'm glad I didn't fork over the extra money for the Touch Bar because I don't need it and not having it does not hamper my computing experience in any way.

Basically, it boils down to choice. Do you want the Touch Bar or not? In fact, go to a nearby Best Buy or Apple Store and test both out before making your decision.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I have bought the 2016 MacBook Pro with Touch Bar. I didn't make my choice based on the Touch Bar, but on my own needs. I looked at my own needs, and I just needed more system performance for my student needs (compiling code I wrote, differential calculus, etc.).

It all boils down to what you need the computer for? Is it strictly web browsing, YouTube, Facebook, etc., or is it something like complex like video editing.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
For me, it wasn't about the touchbar, but about a faster/younger processor, and about touch ID. I could live without a touch bar, but wanted the newest processor and touch ID, both only available with the touch bar models, afaik.

li2327

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
I have the same exact one, and I love it as well!!! I don't do any type of coding or media work, just basic stuff as you mentioned, but I still went for the Pro instead of the Air. I'm sure the Air would have been more than enough for what I use it for, but I like having the extra power just in case. I do use it more than I thought I would. I even answer my calls on it when I'm home. I actually have it on me when I'm out and about now. I'm starting to journal, and I never know when I'm in the mood to write. I love browsing iMore on it, like I'm currently doing right now!!! I would definitely go to a Best Buy or Apple sore to check them out for yourself. It's hard to get the full experience without seeing them in person!!

davidnc

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
I have been using a macbook pro (without touchbar model) for just over a week. It is my first laptop/and macbook. Pretty much getting the hang of it.
I may end of buying it from them. The touchbar / touch id does look cool, not sure how often I would use it though.
Performance wise it wouldnt matter much which model ,and I can get it at a good deal.So most likely will purchase it

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have been using a macbook pro (without touchbar model) for just over a week. It is my first laptop/and macbook. Pretty much getting the hang of it.
I may end of buying it from them. The touchbar / touch id does look cool, not sure how often I would use it though.
Performance wise it wouldnt matter much which model ,and I can get it at a good deal.So most likely will purchase it

Go for it, David...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234