What are your suggestions regarding internet security on a Mac?

iosfanatic

Nov 19, 2018
Visit site
Hello,

So the old employee left and with that he left his weath to my name. A macbook md 101. After wanna cry all the environment is mac over here.

Anyway, the mac is on macOS Sierra so I want it updated on Mojave (I don't know whether is upgrade-able)

Also, I need an antivirus and vpn as it is required by the IT policies in the company. I want your suggestion regarding the internet security. Also I will be installing password manager too.

So, here is what I have finalized my research and reviews:

1password (previous using lastpass because it was free but no security) [redacted]
bitdefender antivirus [redacted]

PureVPN [redacted]

Last edited by a moderator:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My recommendations:

1. A good VPN service/connection, especially if you’re connected to a public hotspot or Wi-Fi network that is not yours.
2. Use real common sense when surfing the web.
3. Don’t open attachments you did not expect or attachments from unknown sources.
4. Do not surf the web while signed in to an admin account.
5. Reread number 2 above...

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I'm personally using 1 Password and Eset internet security. Been using 1Password a few months and so far I really like it. Been using Eset for years after it detected a key logger embedded on a brand new usb drive.

As for VPN, I really can't recommend one. I have one set up with my Asus router at home if I need to print something or access my shard drive, but that's about it.

humbleben

Nov 22, 2018
Visit site
  • Antivirus - TotalAV, seems like the best.
  • Vpn - Hands down Nord if you need it for security reasons. (they have extra security features comparing to other VPNs)
  • Password manager - 1password.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
I’ve been using Norton anti virus on mine. I don’t know if I need it or not. I haven’t noticed any slow down on my machine but I really haven’t been pushing it that hard either.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
macOS has been historically less prone from infections, simply because there are less users that use it.

Although I ran without an anti-virus on my laptops until 2017, I’ve been required to have one installed by my university to connect to their network, mostly to protect other users.

If you want to be on the safe side, you can get an antivirus, as you won’t only be protecting yourself, but also protecting other users you communicate with.

jeraldjamescapao88

Oct 7, 2018
Visit site
macOS has been historically less prone from infections, simply because there are less users that use it.

Although I ran without an anti-virus on my laptops until 2017, I’ve been required to have one installed by my university to connect to their network, mostly to protect other users.

If you want to be on the safe side, you can get an antivirus, as you won’t only be protecting yourself, but also protecting other users you communicate with.

Ah okay, so which anti-virus for Mac is reliable? The non-resource hungry one because I want to have a long battery life all day.