Can anyone comment on real world battery life on a 2018 quad core i5 MBP 13”?

torbach1

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
Hi Everyone:

I’ve got a 2016 MBP 15” quad core i7 with 16GB RAM and a 1TB drive. If got it new 4 months ago for work. It’s battery life has been dismal, averaging around 4.5 hours despite my mostly using Office and Chrome.

I have an opportunity to hand this one over to someone new to the company who will be plugged in most of the time, and for whom the battery life won’t be an issue.

Given that Apple listed battery life as 10 hours for this MBP I have, its battery cycles are only at 8, and it’s showing as everything being normal, I don’t trust Apple’s numbers, which for the 2018 MBP 13 with quad core i5 (gets better geekbench scores than my quad core i7 MBP due to the newest generation chips), also day 10 hours. Can anyone comment on real world battery life for this model?

I’m testing out the new Air, and it’s battery life is phenomenal so far, but it’s significantly less powerful than the 13” MBP that’s maybe $200 more expensive. I’d be happy with 7 hours battery life.

Any input would be welcome.

Thanks

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I got my 2018 13" MBP this past week. It has the quad core i5 and I unplugged it on Friday at around 4:30pm. Been using it on and off all weekend and have not powered it down, just closed the lid when I am done. Right now on Sunday at 9:46am I am at 69% battery.

The battery is amazing on this laptop.

torbach1

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
I got my 2018 13" MBP this past week. It has the quad core i5 and I unplugged it on Friday at around 4:30pm. Been using it on and off all weekend and have not powered it down, just closed the lid when I am done. Right now on Sunday at 9:46am I am at 69% battery.

The battery is amazing on this laptop.

Thanks. I’m curious once you use it for a morning off power for your normal workloads, how it does.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
Thanks. I’m curious once you use it for a morning off power for your normal workloads, how it does.

Ive had the 2018 13” for a couple months now. I get through my entire 10 hour workday using QuickBooks, email, Remote Desktop and an inventory software with no issues. I usually hit about 8 hours of usage and at least 16 hours off the charger before thinking of plugging in. Yesterday I got just over 10 hours usage but that was mostly email and web browsing.

torbach1

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
Ive had the 2018 13” for a couple months now. I get through my entire 10 hour workday using QuickBooks, email, Remote Desktop and an inventory software with no issues. I usually hit about 8 hours of usage and at least 16 hours off the charger before thinking of plugging in. Yesterday I got just over 10 hours usage but that was mostly email and web browsing.

Thanks a lot!

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi Everyone:

despite my mostly using Office and Chrome.

I’m testing out the new Air, and it’s battery life is phenomenal so far, but it’s significantly less powerful than the 13” MBP that’s maybe $200 more expensive.
... Because you need that extra power for Office & Chrome right? I say keep the Air, and life goes on ...

torbach1

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
... Because you need that extra power for Office & Chrome right? I say keep the Air, and life goes on ...

Every now and then I have to run HyperV VMs in Windows in Parallels. It’s not a common occurrence and I’ll figure out a way to do that in the cloud instead. But that was one of the reasons I wanted the extra power.

My current MBP 15, 2016, which is quad core i7, 16GB, 1TB has the worst battery life ever even with just basic workloads. It’s only for 9 cycles of charging. It’s a new device that I got in June or July, but is the 2016 model (got it for a great price).

4 hours max.

falconeight#IM

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I don't know the battery life of mine but I have never felt the need to charge it. I just use it all day then charge it when I'm done working.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
Every now and then I have to run HyperV VMs in Windows in Parallels. It’s not a common occurrence and I’ll figure out a way to do that in the cloud instead. But that was one of the reasons I wanted the extra power.

My current MBP 15, 2016, which is quad core i7, 16GB, 1TB has the worst battery life ever even with just basic workloads. It’s only for 9 cycles of charging. It’s a new device that I got in June or July, but is the 2016 model (got it for a great price).

4 hours max.

I remember hearing about the battery problems that the 2016 models were having after they came out. I know it was mostly the 15” ones but I don’t know if the 13”s were included or not. If your having problems take it to Apple and tell them about it. If you have AppleCare then you should be covered. If you don’t, I would take it anyway and see if something is wrong.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site

What are you going to be using it for later on. If $200 is not much than I would get the Pro. You can’t go wrong on the processor in the Pro vs the Air. As I’ve seen it the Air is about 1.6ghz on the base model and the Pro is either 2.0 or 2.3. I’d get the Pro if I were you.

torbach1

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
What are you going to be using it for later on. If $200 is not much than I would get the Pro. You can’t go wrong on the processor in the Pro vs the Air. As I’ve seen it the Air is about 1.6ghz on the base model and the Pro is either 2.0 or 2.3. I’d get the Pro if I were you.

Thanks. I'm in a position at work where I was able to try out the Air for a while, and then decided that it was powerful enough for 70% of my use cases, but a pain for the other 30%. I've now switched to the 2018 MBP Quad Core i5 and am happiest with this one of the lot. The MBA I was using has gone to one of my new employees who doesn't need the same power as I do, but did want a MBA. The 15" MBP went to a graphic designer in our company who doesn't travel, and works from home, so she won't have too many issues with the battery life. I did contact Apple about it and did have AppleCare+, but they insisted that the battery life was "normal."

Arkidelik

Dec 14, 2018
Visit site
I just got mine today. I'll let you know how it works out for me.

*UPDATE*

One week later, the MBP has taken everything I've thrown at it. Music production, streaming, light photo editing. I can pretty much get through the day without having to charge, unless I'm doing a lot of recording or mixing audio... which is to be expected so I would stay plugged in.

Last edited:

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
I’m going to Apple to pick mine up today. Got the 15” 2.6/32 RAM/512/Vega 20 refurbished. It’s almost new but it’s not. Can’t wait to get my hands on it. Saved almost $500 vs new on this.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods