Why keep it on the 2017 MacBook Pro, but not on the iPhone?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have a 2017 MacBook Pro. In addition, I use an iPhone X as my daily driver. It struck me one day that the MacBook Pro still has a traditional audio port whereas the iPhone does not. Why do you think that is? For what reason would Apple prefer we go wireless with the iPhone, but not the MacBook Pro?

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
It is because of the difference in size. Basically, to keep the iPhone as small as it is but still add all the features, they chose to eliminate the headphone jack. As I understand things, at least with the X, they could have made the phone larger, which would have added larger bezels, or "shrunk" the battery. Shrunk is in quotes because it is likely it would have just caused the removal of one of the two batteries in the iPhone.

On the iPhone 7, it was caused by adding the taptic feedback engine; they couldn't add the taptic engine and keep the headphone jack without increasing the size of the 7 over the 6s, or putting in a much smaller battery.

Of course, with a MacBook, the space the headphone jack takes up is not an issue.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It is because of the difference in size. Basically, to keep the iPhone as small as it is but still add all the features, they chose to eliminate the headphone jack. As I understand things, at least with the X, they could have made the phone larger, which would have added larger bezels, or "shrunk" the battery. Shrunk is in quotes because it is likely it would have just caused the removal of one of the two batteries in the iPhone.

On the iPhone 7, it was caused by adding the taptic feedback engine; they couldn't add the taptic engine and keep the headphone jack without increasing the size of the 7 over the 6s, or putting in a much smaller battery.

Of course, with a MacBook, the space the headphone jack takes up is not an issue.

Excellent explanation, and I appreciate you sharing it. Thank you!

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site

Sorry that’s incorrect. The iPhone has room to add the headphone jack. It’s been proven and it’s even been added to it without changing the size of it at all. The reason was simple. Apple wants people using the iPhone with its wireless headphones plain and simple.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Sorry that’s incorrect. The iPhone has room to add the headphone jack. It’s been proven and it’s even been added to it without changing the size of it at all. The reason was simple. Apple wants people using the iPhone with its wireless headphones plain and simple.

I don't believe it has been "proven." I've seem some people claim that, and even some YouTuber (as you mention) adding a headphone jack -- though my recollection is that he had to remove a feature from the phone to get it to work (my recollection is one of the camera "sensors", maybe the laser focusing but it has been quite a while). I also seem to recall he did it in a Plus model and not the regular sized phone; and Apple is not likely to put a headphone jack in the Plus (if it would fit) and not in the regular phone where it wouldn't.

OTOH, iFixIt noted that the taptic feedback (and that may be what he removed, and replaced with a less powerful engine) is what took the place of the headphone jack.

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't believe it has been "proven." I've seem some people claim that, and even some YouTuber (as you mention) adding a headphone jack -- though my recollection is that he had to remove a feature from the phone to get it to work (my recollection is one of the camera "sensors", maybe the laser focusing but it has been quite a while). I also seem to recall he did it in a Plus model and not the regular sized phone; and Apple is not likely to put a headphone jack in the Plus (if it would fit) and not in the regular phone where it wouldn't.

OTOH, iFixIt noted that the taptic feedback (and that may be what he removed, and replaced with a less powerful engine) is what took the place of the headphone jack.

Dude, come on. Do you honestly believe that "courage" is the reason that Apple ditched the headphone jack? It has everything to to with dollars and trying to move people to their wireless headphones or AirPods (which I happen to love). Let's not play fools here and pretend that Apple couldn't squeeze a headphone jack into the body of the iPhone 7 and 8. Its nearly identical to the 6 and 6S which both have a headphone jack. There is no way they couldn't do it, they just chose not to do it because they are moving to a wireless world and want to try and move as many customers as they can to one of their wireless options. Its as simple as that.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Dude, come on. Do you honestly believe that "courage" is the reason that Apple ditched the headphone jack? It has everything to to with dollars and trying to move people to their wireless headphones or AirPods (which I happen to love). Let's not play fools here and pretend that Apple couldn't squeeze a headphone jack into the body of the iPhone 7 and 8. Its nearly identical to the 6 and 6S which both have a headphone jack. There is no way they couldn't do it, they just chose not to do it because they are moving to a wireless world and want to try and move as many customers as they can to one of their wireless options. Its as simple as that.

Again, one of the big new "differences" between the iPhone 6s and 7 was the new taptic engine -- and if you look again at the iFixit teardown, they show it is where the headphone jack was previously. I won't say it was impossible for Apple to move the headphone jake and keep the form factor of the 6S but it would have been very difficult.

And while I don't think it was "courage," I don't buy into the conspiracy theory. If Apple really wanted to push people to AirPods or Bluetooth Beats then they would have also removed the headphone jacks from the iPad and MacBooks -- they also wouldn't be shipping the phones with a free dongle and EarPods.

lusid1

Dec 4, 2016
Visit site
I'm still really annoyed by that change. It is a constant aggravation and it added a few hundred dollars to the cost of the phone.

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Again, one of the big new "differences" between the iPhone 6s and 7 was the new taptic engine -- and if you look again at the iFixit teardown, they show it is where the headphone jack was previously. I won't say it was impossible for Apple to move the headphone jake and keep the form factor of the 6S but it would have been very difficult.

And while I don't think it was "courage," I don't buy into the conspiracy theory. If Apple really wanted to push people to AirPods or Bluetooth Beats then they would have also removed the headphone jacks from the iPad and MacBooks -- they also wouldn't be shipping the phones with a free dongle and EarPods.

I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't remove the headphone jack from iPads and MacBooks. They probably won't because the difference there is that people aren't working out with their MacBooks and are generally seated when using them.

If they are going to get rid of them, I think the iPad would be first, and wouldn't be surprised if that happened within the next year. MacBooks I doubt would happen as there would be too much of an uproar over that.

I just believe it was a conscience decision because Apple wants to move people to wireless whether they like it or not. Personally, I don't care as I actually only use wireless headphones and AirPods, both of which I love. I could see why some people would be upset over the loss of it though.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I remember reading an article where an Apple exec explained why the MBP still has a 3.5 port (can't remember which exec). He mentioned it was because people use MBP, iMacs, etc. with professional audio equipment such as microphones to record podcasts, for live events, etc. They left the port for those people.

Edit: Found the quote:
Phil Schiller: "Not at all. These are pro machines. If it was just about headphones then it doesn’t need to be there, we believe that wireless is a great solution for headphones. But many users have setups with studio monitors, amps, and other pro audio gear that do not have wireless solutions and need the 3.5mm jack."

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative