I'm going to downgrade from a 2017 MPB to a 2015 MBP

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Except thats exactly how new technology becomes the norm. Been that way for decades. You should know this by now being an Apple user. Lightening port is a prime example.

Did you read my post?! I even gave several examples of ports that became obsolete and were dropped because people did not use them any more. I will repeat the list now for your benefit - serial, parallel, and (on the way out) VGA. They faded away naturally because people no longer needed them. This is not the case with standard USB today.

You mentioned TV manufactured - this is exactly how they work.

New technology should succeed because it's better than old technology. Not because someone rich guy decides you don't need it any more.

Almost every laptop sold today has a standard USB port.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
Did you read my post?! I even gave several examples of ports that became obsolete and were dropped because people did not use them any more. I will repeat the list now for your benefit - serial, parallel, and (on the way out) VGA. They faded away naturally because people no longer needed them. This is not the case with standard USB today.

You mentioned TV manufactured - this is exactly how they work.

New technology should succeed because it's better than old technology. Not because someone rich guy decides you don't need it any more.

Almost every laptop sold today has a standard USB port.

And the Macbook pro still has the ability to use USB-A. They didnt take it away. Its a $4 adapter that is 1/2”.

I dont get you guys up in arms about not having ports on a computer that you chose to buy. If you had such an issue with it then why did you spend over $1000 on a computer you had an issue with?

lusid1

Dec 4, 2016
Visit site
If you had such an issue with it then why did you spend over $1000 on a computer you had an issue with?

There is no perfect laptop. This was the least bad choice on the market at the time. I switch between the 2015 and the 2017 daily. They both need a bag-o-dongles to work, but they both need a completely different bag-o-dongles. At least the 2015 has a few native ports for common accessories.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
And the Macbook pro still has the ability to use USB-A. They didnt take it away. Its a $4 adapter that is 1/2”.

I dont get you guys up in arms about not having ports on a computer that you chose to buy. If you had such an issue with it then why did you spend over $1000 on a computer you had an issue with?

I did not buy the Macbook Pro (or any other Apple laptop) - largely because of the lack of ports and the extremely high price.

Darth-Vader

Apr 7, 2018
Visit site
The keyboard is what is keeping me from buying the new laptops. I hope Apple addresses the situation when they roll out the 2018 models.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Curious. I have a 2016 MBP and am having no issues with the keyboard, and it gets hammered on a few hours a day.

Darth-Vader

Apr 7, 2018
Visit site
Curious. I have a 2016 MBP and am having no issues with the keyboard, and it gets hammered on a few hours a day.
No question many people are doing fine on it, yet, sadly there's quite a number of that don't

https://daringfireball.net/linked/2018/04/25/johnston-mbp-keyboard

This keyboard has to be one of the biggest design screwups in Apple history. Everyone who buys a MacBook depends upon the keyboard and this keyboard is undependable.

Jason Snell:
I know that we Apple-watchers sit around wondering if Apple will release new laptops with new keyboards that don’t have these issues, but Apple’s relative silence on this issue for existing customers is deafening. If these problems are remotely as common as they seem to be, this is an altogether defective product that should be recalled.

bill.davis

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
Nobody forced anyone in this thread to buy a computer with ports they didn't want to utilize. You all made the conscious choice to spend your money on a device that didn't have legacy ports. Other laptops (even MacBooks) are available that don't have USB-C.

The old ports are never coming back, nor should they.

Really? No one forced anyone. Baloney. Easy example: an older MacBook Pro died and a new one was needed. Used ones don't have warranties. Sounds forced to me. No good reason for dropping standard USB ports etc except Ive's quest for thinner and thinner computers. This has to stop. Apple has already made my decision for me with that and their no longer upgradable computers. After purchasing only Macs since 1984, I simply can no longer afford or justify the high price. If they had made them MUCH less expensive then I could live with with the non-upgradability and dongles, maybe. But they stupidly went the opposite way. And lost a customer of 34 years. They did it to themselves.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
Really? No one forced anyone. Baloney. Easy example: an older MacBook Pro died and a new one was needed. Used ones don't have warranties. Sounds forced to me. No good reason for dropping standard USB ports etc except Ive's quest for thinner and thinner computers. This has to stop. Apple has already made my decision for me with that and their no longer upgradable computers. After purchasing only Macs since 1984, I simply can no longer afford or justify the high price. If they had made them MUCH less expensive then I could live with with the non-upgradability and dongles, maybe. But they stupidly went the opposite way. And lost a customer of 34 years. They did it to themselves.

You could have bought a new 2015. 15” are readily available and 13” new can still be found. Microcenter 3 miles from me has them.

bill.davis

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
Just sayin, if you really want a 15 13” you can still buy them brand new and add applecare. You werent forced to buy a USB-C model.

Thanks, but though your local non-Apple Store dealer may still have a few in stock, that does not apply to me.

Microcenter does not exist here. Their web store does not sell them (it's all "in-store only" for MB Pro sales when I looked.)

Apple does not sell them online, of course. Nor the local Apple Store.

The local Apple Store killed all our local Apple dealers, too. No hope there. I will check BestBuy but as they have an in-store mini Apple Store I find it unlikely.

Thanks for trying, though. I wish it were so.

I didn't buy a USB-C model. And won't. Because they are unaffordable and unupgradeable And buying all the damn dongles just makes it worse. And the keyboard is apparently horrible. (But they have that Touchbar! Pfffft.)

Apple screwed the pooch big time. And lost a 34-year customer. The Mac is dying. Time to move on.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
The Retina MacBook Pro was one of the best machines, and I really had a good time with it over the past 4 years. I've since upgraded to the 2017 MBP and I think it's great too. It's not perfect by any means, but at the end of the day.. I'm happy with it :)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The Retina MacBook Pro was one of the best machines, and I really had a good time with it over the past 4 years. I've since upgraded to the 2017 MBP and I think it's great too. It's not perfect by any means, but at the end of the day.. I'm happy with it :)

Yeah, I'm really enjoying my mid-2017 model MacBook Pro. It's a very solid device, in my opinion.

Darth-Vader

Apr 7, 2018
Visit site
And buying all the damn dongles just makes it worse.
Not for nothing, but when I travel with my old 2021 laptop, I have "dongles galore" I still need to plug stuff into the laptop and I have mess of cables to bring. I'm not really sure needing something extra is a major pain.

I agree about the keyboard, while I don't own a 2016 or 2017 model, there's enough chatter on the internet to give me pause.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree about the keyboard, while I don't own a 2016 or 2017 model, there's enough chatter on the internet to give me pause.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the keyboard on the new MacBook Pro. It's just not as spongy as the previous models, but you can type on it the same as with any other keyboard, in my opinion. Like everything else, it comes down to "preference".

Darth-Vader

Apr 7, 2018
Visit site
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the keyboard on the new MacBook Pro.
I disagree,

Even long time Apple pundits such as Jason Snell stated
I know that we Apple-watchers sit around wondering if Apple will release new laptops with new keyboards that don’t have these issues, but Apple’s relative silence on this issue for existing customers is deafening. If these problems are remotely as common as they seem to be, this is an altogether defective product that should be recalled.

John Gruber
This keyboard has to be one of the biggest design screwups in Apple history. Everyone who buys a MacBook depends upon the keyboard and this keyboard is undependable.

Rene Ritche
Negative sentiment and anecdotes concerning the MacBook Pro butterfly keyboard are back making headlines. So what's going on?

Clearly its hard to justify a position stating that there's Absolutely nothing wrong with the keyboard. You may be problem free, and that's awesome but it seems too many people have issues, and many of them have had multiple repairs.

We can agree to disagree, because I don't want to beat a dead horse. We all must make buying decisions based on our needs, wants and opinions.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I disagree,

Even long time Apple pundits such as Jason Snell stated

John Gruber

Rene Ritche

Clearly its hard to justify a position stating that there's Absolutely nothing wrong with the keyboard. You may be problem free, and that's awesome but it seems too many people have issues, and many of them have had multiple repairs.

We can agree to disagree, because I don't want to beat a dead horse. We all must make buying decisions based on our needs, wants and opinions.

I disagree...respectfully, of course....I own a 2017 MacBook Pro and I use it almost every single day. I also use a MacBook Air at work. >>> I <<< don't have a problem with the design or the feel of the new keyboard. In fact, I type better on it than on my MacBook Air. It does the job it's intended to do. With that being said, does Rene, John and others have opinions on it? Sure! Are they judging the keyboard from a different perspective? Obviously. Can any of them honestly say that the new keyboard doesn't work as intended? No, they cannot! As for you, if you haven't already, go to a nearby Best Buy or Apple Store, spend some time typing on one of the new MacBook Pro models and then come to your own conclusion.

By the way, at the end of the article in which you quoted Rene, he stated this:

"[FONT=&quot]Again, I haven't had this issue with the current MacBook or MacBook Pro, so factor that in when you weigh my opinion alongside those who have"[/FONT]

Last edited:

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
Keep an eye on the Apple refurbished website. I see the 2015s on there from time to time. I bought my 2017 non-touch mbp from there and I have had zero problems. Saved a few hundred dollars, so I bought AppleCare.