You can do all of that on older MacBooks without just USB-C.
    eGPU requires USB-C (Thunderbolt 3).

Sadly, you can’t wirelessly charge an iPhone by sitting it on top of your MacBook Pro. You need a USB-C to lightning, which is a cable that Apple doesn’t ship with their phones. Interesting you mention wireless transfer. I agree that’s great (albeit slower) but you can’t actually do that until you physically connect the devices first so you’ll need an adaptor or additional cable.
    I admit, I have never charged my phone from my computer. Entirely too slow and drains the laptop battery. And yes you are also correct about needing a USB adapter or USB-C to lightening cable but these adapters can be had for less than $5.

And yes, I realize an adaptor can do all of that. My whole point is that it sure was nice not needing an adaptor for every single thing I wanted to connect to my MacBook and not having to spend additional money for the already most expensive laptop on the market.
    Ok I will say yes, it was nice. I just got rid of my 2015 and thought id miss it but I don't at all because it was so easily overcome and knowing the advantages USB-C brings to the table. Again, thats not for everyone but Im a techaholic so it intrigues me more than anything. I also do appreciate the smaller form factor and lighter weight. I rarely plug anything into my 2017 besides power. Any video goes through Airplay and all my backups are done wirelessly. When I do get a client who hands me an sd card, I just use my adapter which I must say I like way more than the 2015 sd reader because I don't need a microsd adapter anymore since my adapter has a specific slot for those.

Truthfully, the only thing I really miss is the light up logo. As petty as that is, I dug it.
    04-22-2018 04:00 PM
    I switch between a 2015 (work) and a 2017 (personal) every day. There is a lot I don't like about the 2017 but I'll just comment on the port problem. Sure, USB-C ports are awesome, but nothing in the real world natively uses USB-C. People keep sticking with the fantasy the the world will "catch up", but it's been 2 years now with zero observable progress. I need an adapter for every.single.thing.I.need.to.connect.to.in.the.wil d. Even within my personal home/office realm, I can't wholesale replace everything with USB-C, because this laptop is the only device that uses it. The work laptop is a 2015 with all native ports and a couple TB2 ports, the phones and tablets are all lightning connectors and the cables need USB-A. Every other PC, Server, & Laptop I touch uses native ports. USB-C is just the port that dongles plug into, so I call them what they are; dongleports.
    Last edited by lusid1; 04-24-2018 at 03:35 AM.
    bill.davis likes this.
    04-24-2018 03:21 AM
    I had to take it in the the genius bar to let them fix it.
    So "genius bar" is just a super-pretentious name for a repair shop?
    04-24-2018 04:51 AM
    So "genius bar" is just a super-pretentious name for a repair shop?
    Well, its what Apple's repair center is called.
    04-24-2018 05:48 AM
    Well, its what Apple's repair center is called.
    I would prefer it if they called the "Genuis Bar" the "Apple Repair Center" like a normal company.
    04-24-2018 06:54 AM
    I would prefer it if they called the "Genuis Bar" the "Apple Repair Center" like a normal company.
    They do. The Genuis Bar is not their repair center. It is the name of their customer support counter in Apple Stores. Small repairs might occur there, screen or battery replacement mostly, but anything bigger is done elsewhere.
    04-24-2018 07:21 AM
    What does it matter? They can call it whatever they want. Are they genius’s? Probably not. Are Geek Squad employees all geeks? Well, probably, but they don’t appreciate being called as such.
    04-24-2018 08:45 AM
    Sure, USB-C ports are awesome, but nothing in the real world natively uses USB-C. People keep sticking with the fantasy the the world will "catch up", but it's been 2 years now with zero observable progress.
    Sorry, but what? There are USB-C thumb drives and hard drives readily available at brick and mortar stores. The main devices that need USB-C are already available and have been for a while. Its also standard for a good amount of phones as well. Lets not forget power banks that are now able to charge these USB-C devices. Then theres monitors like the Asus zen screen that uses one USB-C cable for power and video.

HDMI was around for 5 years before it become the standard for televisions. It released in 2002 and didn't become standard until 2007 for 90% of TV's. 2 years is not a lot of time.
    04-24-2018 09:09 AM
    Sorry, but what? There are USB-C thumb drives and hard drives readily available at brick and mortar stores. The main devices that need USB-C are already available and have been for a while. Its also standard for a good amount of phones as well. Lets not forget power banks that are now able to charge these USB-C devices. Then theres monitors like the Asus zen screen that uses one USB-C cable for power and video.

HDMI was around for 5 years before it become the standard for televisions. It released in 2002 and didn't become standard until 2007 for 90% of TV's. 2 years is not a lot of time.
    True, but the point is the USB C is not yet common. I use USB devices every day and not a single one is USB C yet. It may make sense to drop standard USB ports eventually, but to make an expensive laptop today which doesn't even have one is a pity and a shame.
    04-24-2018 10:55 AM
    True, but the point is the USB C is not yet common. I use USB devices every day and not a single one is USB C yet. It may make sense to drop standard USB ports eventually, but to make an expensive laptop today which doesn't even have one is a pity and a shame.
    Your usb devices are considered dated technology. You could upgrade them if you want or you can continue to use them as you are. That doesn't mean that the devices with USB-C aren't available though.

This is how companies move to the future. Its standard business practice to adopt new technology and leave dated technology behind. It forces consumers and suppliers to get on board which in turn grows the market for the new technology. This is exactly how TV manufacturers did it as well as computer manufacturers have done it for years. The longer hardware maintains older tech, the slower new tech becomes the norm.

They didn't take away the ability to use older tech, they gave you a way to adapt to it relatively easily and cheaply. A $4 adapter allows you to use every single USB-A device you currently have by adding a 1/2" piece of hardware.
    04-24-2018 11:00 AM
    Thats it exactly. I can buy USB-C stuff, it is readily available (yeah?) for a few of the more common accesories. But if I do that, it will only work on one of my devices. I've bought all the little widgets; USB-AtoC adaptiods, USB3-mini to USB C cables for my external drives, USB-C to HDMI adapters for my displays, etc. But out there in the real world, I've never seen a USB-C USB stick outside of a store, and I've been in exactly 1 conference room that had a USB-C to HDMI cable attached to its projector. I've run into VGA more often than USB-C.

Maybe someday they'll be ubiquitous, but the laptop I am carrying today will have been retired before that happens, and I will have spent an entire hardware cycle wrestling with dongles.
    04-24-2018 11:17 AM
    Nobody forced anyone in this thread to buy a computer with ports they didn't want to utilize. You all made the conscious choice to spend your money on a device that didn't have legacy ports. Other laptops (even MacBooks) are available that don't have USB-C.

The old ports are never coming back, nor should they.
    Tartarus likes this.
    04-24-2018 11:38 AM
    Maybe, but the old plugs will never go away either. I was on a job last week setting up some equipment and needed to connect to 2 serial ports at a time plus ethernet. My dongle load out was 2x USB-C->USB-A->USB2Serial->Network device, plus a USB-C->USB-A->Ethernet adapter->Network, and the power cable. I'm frequently connecting to serial devices in the wild, need ethernet almost daily, and encounter projectors ranging from VGA, to DVI, to HDMI. I've got the big bag-o-dongles to make it all work, its just super kludgy and its a decade away from changing in any meaningful way.
    04-24-2018 03:01 PM
    Your usb devices are considered dated technology. You could upgrade them if you want or you can continue to use them as you are. That doesn't mean that the devices with USB-C aren't available though.

This is how companies move to the future. Its standard business practice to adopt new technology and leave dated technology behind. It forces consumers and suppliers to get on board which in turn grows the market for the new technology. This is exactly how TV manufacturers did it as well as computer manufacturers have done it for years. The longer hardware maintains older tech, the slower new tech becomes the norm.

They didn't take away the ability to use older tech, they gave you a way to adapt to it relatively easily and cheaply. A $4 adapter allows you to use every single USB-A device you currently have by adding a 1/2" piece of hardware.
    This post utterly misses the point.

If new technology is better, it will be adopted. It does not have to forced by anyone. We no longer use serial or parallel ports, and VGA is on the way out. I don't mind if my next laptop doesn't have those ports. But standard USB is ubiquitous. Within a few meters of where I'm sitting there are half a dozen devices with standard USB ports, and zero with USB-C ports. Some of these products are less than six months old. I *have to* use standard USB on a daily basis.

If USB-C is superior (and it is), put it on new products. But keep standard USB too until it is no longer widely used.

You are completely wrong about TV manufacturers behaving like this.

To repeat, companies should not try to drive out old technology like this. When new technology actually brings benefits, we will adopt it ourselves. But let us decide.
    04-24-2018 03:16 PM

To repeat, companies should not try to drive out old technology like this. When new technology actually brings benefits, we will adopt it ourselves. But let us decide.
    Except thats exactly how new technology becomes the norm. Been that way for decades. You should know this by now being an Apple user. Lightening port is a prime example.
    04-24-2018 03:19 PM
    Except thats exactly how new technology becomes the norm. Been that way for decades. You should know this by now being an Apple user. Lightening port is a prime example.
    Did you read my post?! I even gave several examples of ports that became obsolete and were dropped because people did not use them any more. I will repeat the list now for your benefit - serial, parallel, and (on the way out) VGA. They faded away naturally because people no longer needed them. This is not the case with standard USB today.

You mentioned TV manufactured - this is exactly how they work.

New technology should succeed because it's better than old technology. Not because someone rich guy decides you don't need it any more.

Almost every laptop sold today has a standard USB port.
    04-24-2018 03:24 PM
    Did you read my post?! I even gave several examples of ports that became obsolete and were dropped because people did not use them any more. I will repeat the list now for your benefit - serial, parallel, and (on the way out) VGA. They faded away naturally because people no longer needed them. This is not the case with standard USB today.

You mentioned TV manufactured - this is exactly how they work.

New technology should succeed because it's better than old technology. Not because someone rich guy decides you don't need it any more.

Almost every laptop sold today has a standard USB port.
    And the Macbook pro still has the ability to use USB-A. They didnt take it away. Its a $4 adapter that is 1/2”.

I dont get you guys up in arms about not having ports on a computer that you chose to buy. If you had such an issue with it then why did you spend over $1000 on a computer you had an issue with?
    MasterDarque likes this.
    04-24-2018 03:26 PM
    If you had such an issue with it then why did you spend over $1000 on a computer you had an issue with?
    There is no perfect laptop. This was the least bad choice on the market at the time. I switch between the 2015 and the 2017 daily. They both need a bag-o-dongles to work, but they both need a completely different bag-o-dongles. At least the 2015 has a few native ports for common accessories.
    04-24-2018 04:22 PM
    And the Macbook pro still has the ability to use USB-A. They didnt take it away. Its a $4 adapter that is 1/2”.

I dont get you guys up in arms about not having ports on a computer that you chose to buy. If you had such an issue with it then why did you spend over $1000 on a computer you had an issue with?
    I did not buy the Macbook Pro (or any other Apple laptop) - largely because of the lack of ports and the extremely high price.
    04-25-2018 03:08 AM
    The keyboard is what is keeping me from buying the new laptops. I hope Apple addresses the situation when they roll out the 2018 models.
    05-04-2018 08:06 AM
    Curious. I have a 2016 MBP and am having no issues with the keyboard, and it gets hammered on a few hours a day.
    05-04-2018 11:28 AM
    Curious. I have a 2016 MBP and am having no issues with the keyboard, and it gets hammered on a few hours a day.
    No question many people are doing fine on it, yet, sadly there's quite a number of that don't

https://daringfireball.net/linked/20...n-mbp-keyboard

This keyboard has to be one of the biggest design screwups in Apple history. Everyone who buys a MacBook depends upon the keyboard and this keyboard is undependable.
    Jason Snell:
    I know that we Apple-watchers sit around wondering if Apple will release new laptops with new keyboards that don’t have these issues, but Apple’s relative silence on this issue for existing customers is deafening. If these problems are remotely as common as they seem to be, this is an altogether defective product that should be recalled.
    05-04-2018 12:44 PM
    Nobody forced anyone in this thread to buy a computer with ports they didn't want to utilize. You all made the conscious choice to spend your money on a device that didn't have legacy ports. Other laptops (even MacBooks) are available that don't have USB-C.

Really? No one forced anyone. Baloney. Easy example: an older MacBook Pro died and a new one was needed. Used ones don't have warranties. Sounds forced to me. No good reason for dropping standard USB ports etc except Ive's quest for thinner and thinner computers. This has to stop. Apple has already made my decision for me with that and their no longer upgradable computers. After purchasing only Macs since 1984, I simply can no longer afford or justify the high price. If they had made them MUCH less expensive then I could live with with the non-upgradability and dongles, maybe. But they stupidly went the opposite way. And lost a customer of 34 years. They did it to themselves.
    05-04-2018 02:55 PM
    Really? No one forced anyone. Baloney. Easy example: an older MacBook Pro died and a new one was needed. Used ones don't have warranties. Sounds forced to me. No good reason for dropping standard USB ports etc except Ive's quest for thinner and thinner computers. This has to stop. Apple has already made my decision for me with that and their no longer upgradable computers. After purchasing only Macs since 1984, I simply can no longer afford or justify the high price. If they had made them MUCH less expensive then I could live with with the non-upgradability and dongles, maybe. But they stupidly went the opposite way. And lost a customer of 34 years. They did it to themselves.
    You could have bought a new 2015. 15” are readily available and 13” new can still be found. Microcenter 3 miles from me has them.
    05-04-2018 03:25 PM
    You could have bought a new 2015. 15” are readily available and 13” new can still be found. Microcenter 3 miles from me has them.
    That's nice. Not here. Only an Apple Store here.
    05-04-2018 03:39 PM
66 123