I have a MacBook pro, purchased in October 2016. Its a previous generation model. Last week after performing the latest update of High Sierra, I started experiencing crackling sound with the right speaker, where anything related to bass makes speaker burst.

Yesterday i showed my MacBook in apple service center, they said the speakers are gone, and gave an estimation of around 100$ for replacing the speakers. They said that VLC Media players mostly pushes speakers beyond the limit, and might have been responsible for this.
    04-17-2018 01:29 AM
    It sounds like you know what you're issue is. You just need to make the decision if it's worth it to pay the $100 to replace the speakers. Quick question; did you have AppleCare+? If not, did they mention if it would've been covered if you did?
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    04-17-2018 06:25 AM
    I have a MacBook pro, purchased in October 2016. Its a previous generation model. Last week after performing the latest update of High Sierra, I started experiencing crackling sound with the right speaker, where anything related to bass makes speaker burst.

Yesterday i showed my MacBook in apple service center, they said the speakers are gone, and gave an estimation of around 100$ for replacing the speakers. They said that VLC Media players mostly pushes speakers beyond the limit, and might have been responsible for this.
    The software update itself should not have any effect on the speaker in that manner. It’s probably a coincidence that the speaker cracked soon after installing High Sierra and was probably going to crack anyway, depending on the volume level you play your audio and the app used. As asked by msm0511, do you have Apple Care Plus for it? I
    04-17-2018 09:02 AM

Sounds like we have similar machines. Mine is updated and no speaker issues. Can't really see how an update can cause a speaker to crack.

Help Needed with my MacBook pro-screen-shot-2018-04-17-12.09.26-pm.png

With AC+ this may be covered.
    04-17-2018 11:12 AM
    Well no I don't have apple care. I got the speakers replaced from a third party who took 50$. When i visited him, the first question he asked was, if I was using VLC player. He said VLC player is an open source application and it pushes the volume beyond the limits, thats why the speaker got busted. He highly recommended me not to use VLC player
    TripleOne likes this.
    04-18-2018 12:39 AM
    Well no I don't have apple care. I got the speakers replaced from a third party who took 50$. When i visited him, the first question he asked was, if I was using VLC player. He said VLC player is an open source application and it pushes the volume beyond the limits, thats why the speaker got busted. He highly recommended me not to use VLC player
    I'm glad it turned out okay. I've used VLC for a long time and I never knew about this, thank you for the update.
    maverick786us likes this.
    04-18-2018 08:48 AM
    There aren't much options. VLC is the best player, it provides clarity in volume and now with H.265 format, VLC is the only way to go
    04-19-2018 02:13 AM
    If memory serves me right, the 2016 model was suseptable to blown speakers. I thought it was related too or limited to windows, but I could be wrong.

If it were me, I'd pay the 100 dollars. Given that this thread is a few weeks old, did you get the repair?
    05-06-2018 05:31 AM