Should I consider selling my MacBook Pro for an iMac?

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
I have a 2017 15” rMBP. I’m thinking of selling it and getting a 27” iMAC. Has anyone done this at all? Should I even be considering it and just keep the 15” for portability and buy an external screen? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: Selling MacBook Pro

It depends on your use case. Do you still need the portability? Obviously you’ll be sacrificing that if you switch to an iMac. Personally, I just have an external display for my MacBook. I use it more or less as a desktop the majority of the time but still have the option to go mobile if the need arises. To me it’s the best of both worlds but I have fairly simple computing needs.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
That might be the way to go. I’ll have to see. I’ve paid almost $3300 for it and I know there’s no way I’m getting close to that on selling it.

Looked at the 21.5” LG at Apple. $700 for an external. Little too much for me.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I currently have a 2016 15" MBP and use a 27" ViewSonic monitor when I'm at work. Love the portability. Also use it for Photoshop and Lightroom so it goes with me on my photo outings.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have a 2017 15” rMBP. I’m thinking of selling it and getting a 27” iMAC. Has anyone done this at all? Should I even be considering it and just keep the 15” for portability and buy an external screen? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

If it were me, I would keep the 2017 rMPB. An external monitor, as have already been stated, would basically make it iMac-like.

With that being said, if you're going to be sharing a computer with several members of your household then yeah, consider the iMac, but if it's just for you, I wouldn't would sacrifice the portability of the MBP.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
If it were me, I would keep the 2017 rMPB. An external monitor, as have already been stated, would basically make it iMac-like.

With that being said, if you're going to be sharing a computer with several members of your household then yeah, consider the iMac, but if it's just for you, I wouldn't would sacrifice the portability of the MBP.

+1

If you don't need the extra power from the iMac, stay with the MBP.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
$700 for a 21.5” is a little too much for me. There supposed to be almost like the MacBook display wise but I’m reading some people are having problems with them.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
$700 for a 21.5” is a little too much for me. There supposed to be almost like the MacBook display wise but I’m reading some people are having problems with them.

You’d be better off buying an adapter and connecting the MacBook to your TV....in my opinion, of course...

Last edited:

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

I was able to get a 27” 4K LG monitor for $350. It works great too with the MBP and my PS4.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
I’ve seen one at Best Buy for $500. I think it’s a 24 or 27”. The ones that $700 is an UltraFine. That’s why it’s expensive. Best Buy doesn’t have it. Have to order from LG or buy at Apple.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
You’d be better off buying an adapter and connecting the MacBook to your TV....in my opinion, of course...

I think this is a GREAT option. All you would need is a USB C to HDMI cord. You'll find one (actually tons) on Amazon. Probably cost 20-30 dollars.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I think this is a GREAT option. All you would need is a USB C to HDMI cord. You'll find one (actually tons) on Amazon. Probably cost 20-30 dollars.

Exactly, and thank you. Sorry for the typo....Darn auto-correct strikes out again.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2