Upgrading to a 2017 MBP TB

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I've been using my 2013 rMBP 15" for awhile now and I plan on upgrading it. To those that own the 2017 MBP with TB, what's your verdict on it? Do you like it? Is it worth the money?

I'm also confused on which specs I should go for, will the 2.9Ghz and 512GB be enough? Or should I upgrade it to 3.1Ghz and 1TB? I tend to use my MacBook Pro for 3-5 years before upgrading it again.

And last but not least, should I get it now? or wait for the 2018 models?

Thanks in advance! :)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I considered the Touch Bar model, but then I came to the conclusion that I wouldn’t use it at all. It doesn’t fit with what I do on a laptop. In addition, I found it to be gimmicky. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying it’s useless because a good deal of people are using it. I’m just not one of them and that’s is what if the reasons I opted for the 2017 non-Touch Bar model. I love it!

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I considered the Touch Bar model, but then I came to the conclusion that I wouldn’t use it at all. It doesn’t fit with what I do on a laptop. In addition, I found it to be gimmicky. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying it’s useless because a good deal of people are using it. I’m just not one of them and that’s is what if the reasons I opted for the 2017 non-Touch Bar model. I love it!

I understand, and I'm happy to hear that you love your MBP! I'm worried I'll get buyer's remorse knowing that Apple might update their MBPs in a few months.

Do you have any 'must-haves accessories' that you would recommend for the new MBP?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I understand, and I'm happy to hear that you love your MBP! I'm worried I'll get buyer's remorse knowing that Apple might update their MBPs in a few months.
There will always be a newer model on the horizon. What you have to remember is this - A majority of people keep their computers far longer than they keep their smartphones. Since I purchased a 2017 model MacBook Pro, I don't foresee me replacing it for at least 5 to 7 years, with the exception of it becoming damaged or something.

Do you have any 'must-haves accessories' that you would recommend for the new MBP?
With the exception of a a carrying case and a few dongles, I don't have any recommendations. Oh wait, if you do quite a bit of conference calls like I do when I'm working remotely from home once a week, I do recommend you get a good USB microphone. I use the Blue Yeti USB mic and the sound is always crystal clear to my clients and colleagues.

xboxbml

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
I really wish there was an option to have the Touch ID sensor and not the TB... that would be ideal for me. That’s the only thing about the TB that isn’t gimmicky IMO..

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
100% agreed.
I ended up getting the 15" MBP Touch Bar. It's cool and that's about it..
Touch ID is super nice and useful though!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh