macOS High Serra - Macbook pro performance problem

Nagappan Murugappan

Apr 3, 2018
Visit site
Hello All

I have using my Max for almost 2 years now, my latest iOS version is "macOS High Serra" version : 10.13.3.
Since two days, suddenly the performance went really bad.
My mac configurations are
Macbook pro (Retina, 13-inch Early 2015)
processor : 2,7 Ghz Intel core i5
Memory : 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

When i checked with the Activity Monitor :
Physical Memory says 8 GB
Memory Used : 4.87 GB
Cached files : 3,82 GB
Swap Used : 0

Could someone please help me to resolve what could be wrong with the performance ?

dcoke22

Nov 30, 2017
Visit site
Perhaps you could be more specific about how your machine's performance has changed? Is network performance worse? Is disk I/O especially slow? Is the UI laggy? Without knowing more, it is hard to know what to suggest. I will, however, make a couple of blind suggestions.

Check if your disk is running out of free space.
Ways to free up storage space: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206996
Personally, I don't use the Store in iCloud option, but the Reduce Clutter option can be a handy way to see what's using space on the disk.

Check your internet connection speed: Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test

Check if something is using a lot of CPU: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201464

Nagappan Murugappan

Apr 3, 2018
Visit site
Hi

Thanks for your suggestion, the actual problem is, suddenly the machine performance has gone very bad, meaning, switching between apps, opening new app, even when type something in notepad the response is too bad. I have more than 50 GB free space on the disk. Reduce Clutter option i have already done it. What i notice is that there is consistently kernal_task is running up and using most of the CPU, atleast 75% is occupied by SYSTEM.

Last edited:

Nagappan Murugappan

Apr 3, 2018
Visit site
I ran the Apple Diagnostics, and i got two messages:

1. There may be an issue with the power management system.
Reference code : PPP001

2. There may be an issue with the system management controller (SMC).
Reference code :pFM006