What to look for and what is a definite “do not buy” when buying a MacBook Pro?

anon(6014961)

May 31, 2014
Visit site
I’m after a MacBook Pro but I really don’t wanna spend over £1100 for a laptop, I’ve seen some second hand on selling sites for as little as £250, could you guys tell me what to look for and what is a definite “do not buy”

I’ve seen a late 2014 i5 one I like for £250, and the seller says there’s nothing wrong with it.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I typically buy brand new Apple products, however, if I was going to by used, it would be a refurbished one from a popular retailer like Best Buy or even from Apple.

With that being said, what kind of computing do you plan to do with your MBP? If it’s not too computer intensive, I would easily recommend a MacBook Air. I use one for work and I’m very impressed with what it can handle.

My personal MacBook Pro is overkill, but I told myself that my next MacBook would be a Pro model and I kept my word.

pablomdelgado

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I picked up my 2012 MacBook from a pawn shop, someone must have not been able to pay their loan are really needed money because it was flawless, no scratches in exceptional condition. I’ve learned you can find some great deals at the pawn shop.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Want a MacBook Pro, buy second hand?

Around Christmas time I bought a used, like new Early 2015 13” MBP from a coworker of my brother in law. Lucky for me, I was able to run the serial and look it over before buying. If not for that, I would have saved up my coins and gone refurbished direct from Apple.

But if you are going to buy secondhand, Swappa is a good place. At least for phones, I get EVERY second hand device I use from there and sell ones that I’m looking to get rid of.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I personally wouldn't buy one from an ad on craigslist or other place like that, but there are many reputable sites that sell second hand laptops. Gazelle, buybackworld, and swappa are just a few.

maflynn

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
I've sold plenty of stuff on craigslist. I think if you as the buyer do your home work, fully vet out the machine, you should be all set.

I'd recommend a public place to examine the machine, turn it on, log into it, and run some basic checks

JT2050

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
If you can afford it, I would go for an Apple refurb. You get as near as new as used can get, with a warranty for a discount on what new would cost. If that is outside your price range, by used from a reputable used dealer. There are plenty of used dealers that have been around for many years. Start with them and see if you can find what you are looking for. Good luck.

anon(9918034)

Apr 22, 2018
Visit site
I scored an open box 2017 mbp for just over $1000 from best buy. Marked as satisfactory condition. When I was reluctantly able to look at it. It was in flawless condition not a single scratch, mark or ding. Pretty sure an employee had marked it that way with plans to buy it after it sat on the shelf for the required amount of time before an employee is allowed to buy and open box.

anon(62000)

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Just last week, I bought a practically flawless 2015 MBP from a pawn shop for $500. Granted the SSD is a measly 128GB, adding the cost of a 256 or 512 would still make it a steal.

(AND it's still covered by Apple Care until the end of 2019!)

Last edited: