Tried to buy a Macbook pro today, but they had nothing to sell me

lusid1

Dec 4, 2016
Visit site
I suddenly find myself without a laptop, so I need to buy one a year ahead of schedule. So I walked into my apple store ready to drop a few grand, but came home defeated. For some reason, they only stock 13" laptops with 8gb of ram. For what I do, a 16gb config is minimum viable product, and still extremely confining. I stared in disbelief at the 15" for long while. I tried to convince myself, its only an extra pound, its only an extra $600, I'll only need a slightly larger laptop bag, but I just couldn't do it. I can't believe I have to do a custom order for such a common config.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Based on what customers typically buy in that particular Apple Store, they probably made the decision to stock more of the 8GB models than the 16, but I can't say with any certainty. In any case, you still were able to order the one you want so it's still a win for you, in my opinion.

lusid1

Dec 4, 2016
Visit site
I haven’t found a win yet. I checked all the apple stores in the region, none stock a 13” rmbp with anything more than the minimum spec. And the Apple website has the same problem. 13” laptops are only stocked with 8gb. I can order one custom built, but I’ll be weeks without a machine.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I haven’t found a win yet. I checked all the apple stores in the region, none stock a 13” rmbp with anything more than the minimum spec. And the Apple website has the same problem. 13” laptops are only stocked with 8gb. I can order one custom built, but I’ll be weeks without a machine.

Via the Apple Store app, I selected a space gray 13” MBP. IN addition, I selected to have 16 gigs of RAM installed. Anyway, the delivery date would have been the first week in March. Anyway, have you tried Best Buy?

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
First week in March is delivery date

673fc8ac6557162a32dd7666c756c283.jpg

lusid1

Dec 4, 2016
Visit site
Early march is what I'm seeing too. I checked BestBuy, they can get it to me faster but only in the 2 dongleport version. On the plus side it has the full keyboard, but I know from my usage patterns I'll need all 4 dongleports a good portion of the time. I'll probably pull the trigger on a custom build, but it won't solve my today problem. On a side note, I see some good port replicators for the left side. Any good ones for the right side?

lusid1

Dec 4, 2016
Visit site
One would hope, but they are unlikely to produce a better machine until at least cannon lake, and they're usually at least a year behind on chipsets, so we are probably looking at late 2019 or 2020 before something better comes out.

Blackcash

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Just a thought. Is there anything in the refurbished section that would work? If there is, you can usually get that shipped within a day or 2.
I picked up a refurbished 15" and I'm liking it.

lusid1

Dec 4, 2016
Visit site
Success. I went back in to take one last look before placing the order, and they had one in stock. 13", 16gb RAM, 1tb SSD and 4 dongleports. Now I can get on with with living the dongle life, trying not to hate on the keyboard, and learning to VIM with no escape.

Last edited:

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
Success. I went back in to take one last look before placing the order, and they had one in stock. 13", 16gb RAM, 1tb SSD and 4 dongleports. Now I can get on with with living the dongle life, trying not to hate on the keyboard, and learning to VIM with no escape.

Congrats! That's similar to the model I have except I have the 512GB model. How are you liking it?

lusid1

Dec 4, 2016
Visit site
So far so good. Battery life definitely took a hit coming from a comparably spec'd 2015. The keyboard is taking a little getting used to, but I'm adjusting. I'm testing an app that adds haptic feedback to the touchbar which helps a lot. Still waiting for some dongles to get here but between the hyperdrive and an apple HMDI dongle I have most things covered. Still trying to solve the ethernet problem though. I'd like to avoid daisy chaining my old thunderbolt ethernet dongle and a new TB3->TB2 dongle, but the only other options I've found are USB. Aside from that puzzle and the big battery life hit, I'm liking it.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
So far so good. Battery life definitely took a hit coming from a comparably spec'd 2015. The keyboard is taking a little getting used to, but I'm adjusting. I'm testing an app that adds haptic feedback to the touchbar which helps a lot. Still waiting for some dongles to get here but between the hyperdrive and an apple HMDI dongle I have most things covered. Still trying to solve the ethernet problem though. I'd like to avoid daisy chaining my old thunderbolt ethernet dongle and a new TB3->TB2 dongle, but the only other options I've found are USB. Aside from that puzzle and the big battery life hit, I'm liking it.

I was coming from a late 2011 MBP that only worked when plugged in, so I'm fairly happy since I can actually use the battery.

lusid1

Dec 4, 2016
Visit site
Thats a huge step up. I would be thrilled.

For me, with my usual assortment of apps going I'm getting just shy of 4 hours on this one, vs just short of 6hours on the 2015. It seems whatever power management they use to hit 10h running iPad-like workloads isn't helping in my case, so I'm seeing the impact of them removing 1/3 of the battery capacity directly on my runtime.

Last edited: