Mbp 2017 non touchbar liquid damage and there goes my 1300 dollars.

Shahzad Ghani One

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
First of all i m totally into apple stuff since 6 years had every iphone, ipod classic and macbook air.. i have nothing against apple . I loved MBA for its battery life but could not stand with low res display at that price point.. so i bought mbp 2017 5 months ago...
I loved the machine and then this happened while i was using it my little toddler was playing near and he spilled hot tea at keyboard .. I immediately turned it off and let it dry for few days after 3 days i tried to turn it on but display just shows battery indicator and then goes back to blank screen .. even i tried to charge it many times... now i live in a country where there is no apple store i purchased it from a retailer .. i m pretty sure it is not covered under warranty ... and apple charges 799 for logic board replacement which makes me furious too ... i can get an pretty good windows laptop in that price ..

What i m saying is while designing such an expensive and delicate machine apple could have use rubber sealing around keyboard to avoid minor liquid spills as they do us in iphones... one spill and there goes everything ... i may not be able to justify the cost of repair from apple instead i have to turn back to windows... and I don’t want to.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hey, I’d be ticked off, too, if that had happened to me. Hopefully, future MacBooks will be water resistant/waterproof. Anyway, thank you for sharing your experience with us. It is appreciated, sir.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
I know, it’s very hard to swallow but... in the end it’s your fault. On a side note, when you spend a lot of money for a device, an AppleCare+ protection plan is “mandatory”.

Shahzad Ghani One

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
I know, it’s very hard to swallow but... in the end it’s your fault. On a side note, when you spend a lot of money for a device, an AppleCare+ protection plan is “mandatory”.

I would have if there was an apple store in my country i know its my fault .. i’m just saying that these expensive machines should have some kind of protection for every day use.. accidental spills happens .. for the record i’m very protective kind of person when it comes to my electronics but accidents happens.. sometimes.. there are many windows laptops with lower price range having protection against spills and every day abuse

Shahzad Ghani One

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Hey, I’d be ticked off, too, if that had happened to me. Hopefully, future MacBooks will be water resistant/waterproof. Anyway, thank you for sharing your experience with us. It is appreciated, sir.

That is the sole purpose of my post to share my thoughts with mac community so that we can see future macbooks water resistants as iphones . On other hand i know it is my fault and i have accepted it.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I would have if there was an apple store in my country i know its my fault .. i’m just saying that these expensive machines should have some kind of protection for every day use.. accidental spills happens .. for the record i’m very protective kind of person when it comes to my electronics but accidents happens.. sometimes.. there are many windows laptops with lower price range having protection against spills and every day abuse

Well stated, sir.........It’s refreshing to see someone accepting responsibility while offering up suggestions for Apple on how it could improve its customer experience. Thank you. Some people would have solely blamed Apple.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
I’m not accusing you of anything: accidents happen.
I’m not aware of many notebooks water resistant to be honest.
By the way I think you can buy an AppleCare plan even without an Apple Store in your country.

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
By the way I think you can buy an AppleCare plan even without an Apple Store in your country.

Only when purchased all at once.
Otherwise, the device needs physical inspection (one has 60 days to buy AppleCare anyway).

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Only when purchased all at once.
Otherwise, the device needs physical inspection (one has 60 days to buy AppleCare anyway).
You sure about that ?
I bought iPad and iPhone, several times, without any physical inspection on them (just a remotely executed hardware check) to apply AppleCare.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I know Lenovo and Dell design their business models with drain holes to withstand small spills. These things are compromises. What I've learned here is not to let any youngling near my laptop (Get away!), accidents happen.

Ziich47

May 6, 2015
Visit site
I feel you man I did the same thing to my 2016 Mbp. APC+ wasn’t available in 2016 I I couldn’t have gotten it. It still works so I’m just Just waiting for the 2018 model to upgrade