I need some of your opinions based on your experience. I purchased a 2017 13” MacBook Pro 256GB at Best Buy yesterday for $1,399. Today I stopped at another Best Buy that is closing, and they had the exact same one open box for $1,299, then additional 30% off for their closing sale, which brought the total to about $880. The only cosmetic issue is a very light hairline scratch on the Apple logo, which I am obviously not concerned about with the huge price difference. However, I am worried about it having something wrong with it that I just don’t notice right away. Is there anything I should be concerned about with an open box? Known issues it could potentially have? I think their open box items could have been floor models as well, but there’s no way of knowing for sure. In that case should I also be worried about the life of the keyboard, hinge, or battery? It is the refreshed model with the new CPU, so it couldn’t have been on the floor too long, right?
    10-21-2017 04:39 PM
    If you’ve gone to that store and have examined the exterior as well as make sure that everything is working correctly, then if Best Buy’s warranty covers the device then yeah, consider getting the open box MacBook. I’m assuming it was used as a demo.
    itsnotmeitsyou likes this.
    10-21-2017 04:50 PM
    If you’ve gone to that store and have examined the exterior as well as make sure that everything is working correctly, then if Best Buy’s warranty covers the device then yeah, consider getting the open box MacBook. I’m assuming it was used as a demo.
    I did spend a good amount of time looking at it and they even allowed me to wipe it with a microfiber cloth to verify the condition. It looks brand new, except for that small scratch on the logo. It does come with the standard Best Buy warranty and I am also able to add Apple Care. I’m thinking I will stick with the open box and add Apple Care, that should cover me if anything goes wrong down the road.
    10-21-2017 05:00 PM
    I did spend a good amount of time looking at it and they even allowed me to wipe it with a microfiber cloth to verify the condition. It looks brand new, except for that small scratch on the logo. It does come with the standard Best Buy warranty and I am also able to add Apple Care. I’m thinking I will stick with the open box and add Apple Care, that should cover me if anything goes wrong down the road.
    Go for it and recoup the $400. I would....
    itsnotmeitsyou likes this.
    10-21-2017 05:02 PM
    I bought an open box MacBook when the 12”retina came out. Saved over $300. I did have to purchase Some of the apps that come with the MacBook but it was still worth it even paying $20 for iMovie. The open boxes should have the same manufacturers warranty and with a deal like that I would buy AppleCare without a doubt.
    Just_Me_D and itsnotmeitsyou like this.
    10-21-2017 06:50 PM
    Why can’t I find a deal like that so I can finally get a MacBook lol

But considering you’re still able to add Care to the open box, it seems like no-brainer to get it for 880. If not, get it for me
    10-21-2017 07:34 PM
    Haha, trust me, it's a first for me! I never come across deals like this and when I do, it's too late for whatever reason. I didn't know about the AppleCare+ until after creating the thread, but I'm now settled with my open box MacBook Pro and AppleCare+ and am very happy with it. Thanks everyone for the input, it helped my decision!
    knotsure, mumfoau and Just_Me_D like this.
    10-21-2017 11:47 PM
    Haha, trust me, it's a first for me! I never come across deals like this and when I do, it's too late for whatever reason. I didn't know about the AppleCare+ until after creating the thread, but I'm now settled with my open box MacBook Pro and AppleCare+ and am very happy with it. Thanks everyone for the input, it helped my decision!
    Wow, that’s an amazing deal. Good call on AppleCare+ too! I’m not an extended warranty guy but I almost always buy it on my Apple devices. It’s good piece of mind and I’ve actually used it on my MacBook Pro and my Apple Watch.
    10-22-2017 06:47 AM
    AppleCare+ for the MacBooks is actually worth it. You get two repair incidents for $99 to fix a cracked screen or a broken housing, $299 for other repairs, Plus it covers wires you use with your Mac and I believe it covers any airports you use with the Mac and technical support for 3 years. It is not cheap but neither is the $1700+ I just paid for my refurbed MacBook Pro. I am gonna charge it to make sure I have it even though I am light on cash right now.
    Rob Phillips likes this.
    10-22-2017 11:38 AM
    On behalf of everyone who replied, you’re very welcome.
    10-22-2017 01:14 PM
    The used Macbooks that i´ve sold has been in really good conditions, so u can easily find a really good used and save the money.. but if u r scared of a possible scam and ur budget is okay, the buy new, then u also have the garanti if something breaks.. however ive never had any issues ever with macbook after almost 14 years being mac user!
    11-03-2017 02:49 AM
    I agree with all the others. Get the BB open box and add AC+. You'll be covered.
    12-12-2017 07:09 AM
    if you know Bhphote, that company sold me a brand new macbook pro 2016 15" for only 1500 dollars
    i assume it as a stealth
    01-22-2018 05:19 PM