SSD or RAM upgrade?

Adam Cake

Oct 21, 2017
Visit site
I'm an electrical engineering student and I'm thinking of buying the MacBook pro 13 inch with touchbar(2017) and I would like to future proof it but I can afford upgrading either the RAM(to 16 GB) or SSD(to 512 GB) but I'm not sure which one is better? I don't plan on keeping a lot of pictures or videos on it? Any advice?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If you’re asking which to choose - more RAM or more storage, I’d go with more RAM because you can always upload your data to the cloud.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
If your choice is between SSD or a standard magnetic drive always go with SSD. RAM is much cheaper to upgrade down the road if the need arises. If the drive is already SSD before the upgrade then stick with the 256 GB SSD and upgrade the RAM.

Adam Cake

Oct 21, 2017
Visit site
I'm buying a new one so it's either buying one with 256 GB SSD and 16 GB RAM or 512 GB SSD and 8 GB RAM. I meant upgrading from the base model. Thanks for the advice guys :)

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn’t need the ram and would decide for the added storage if I had to choose. What do you need?

Also, have you taken a look at Apple refurbished MacBooks? I just bought a non touch bar MacBook Pro refurb with both upgraded storage and ram. Was $300 less than brand new with same warranty. And you can buy AppleCare.

Adam Cake

Oct 21, 2017
Visit site
In my country they don't have official Apple stores ,only resellers so buying a refurbished one is not an option unfortunately.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn’t need the ram and would decide for the added storage if I had to choose. What do you need?

Also, have you taken a look at Apple refurbished MacBooks? I just bought a non touch bar MacBook Pro refurb with both upgraded storage and ram. Was $300 less than brand new with same warranty. And you can buy AppleCare.

For future-proofing, more RAM is arguably the way to go....

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
In my country they don't have official Apple stores ,only resellers so buying a refurbished one is not an option unfortunately.

You can’t order it online? On Apple.com or the Apple store? Well that makes it difficult.

As other posters have said I would agree and say go with more ram for future proofing.

Adam Cake

Oct 21, 2017
Visit site
You can’t order it online? On Apple.com or the Apple store? Well that makes it difficult.

As other posters have said I would agree and say go with more ram for future proofing.

Unfortunately ordering online is not an option. Usually stores here have only basic models luckily I managed to find one which has the upgraded ones too. I wish I lived in the US , I would have got the beats headphones and a better laptop for far less ,here I will end up paying around 400 dollars more if not more 😭

nickstaik

Oct 22, 2017
Visit site
Hello everybody!

I have a similar budget dilemma about the no-touch MBP, 128GB|16GB or 256|8GB? I am going to use it for radiological images, light coding and graphic design. My future plans to overcome disk shortage is a samsung t5.

What do you advice me?

Thanks a lot :D

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello everybody!

I have a similar budget dilemma about the no-touch MBP, 128GB|16GB or 256|8GB? I am going to use it for radiological images, light coding and graphic design. My future plans to overcome disk shortage is a samsung t5.

What do you advice me?

Thanks a lot :D

I would always take more RAM....Having said that, 8 GB of RAM on a MacBook is plenty. I use a MacBook Air w/8 GB RAM at work and I have a gazillion (figure of speech) browser tabs open all day everyday along with other apps and the 8 Gigs handle them with ease. With that in mind, if you’ll be taking advantage of cloud services then go with the 16GB RAM, if not, you should be fine with the 8 Gig machine.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
In the past, the 128gb SSD did not perform anything like the 256gb. Not sure if that has changed but I’d be inclined to go with the 256/8gb. I do Lightroom and Photoshop on a 8gb machine and it’s fine. Not a lot of complex layers, etc but it’s handled it well.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
My 2016 MBP has 16 gigs ram and my 2011 iMac has 8 gigs of ram and both run Photoshop and Lightroom really well. Occasionally I'll get the beach ball on the iMac but only under heavy processing.

That being said, I'd go with ram over hard drive space. You can always use iCloud storage or an external hard drive.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
My 2016 MBP has 16 gigs ram and my 2011 iMac has 8 gigs of ram and both run Photoshop and Lightroom really well. Occasionally I'll get the beach ball on the iMac but only under heavy processing.

That being said, I'd go with ram over hard drive space. You can always use iCloud storage or an external hard drive.

Good points but with a laptop you may not always have internet (iCloud) or want to carry extra storage. Previous models were using less optimal 128gb specs vs the 256gb which would negate any benefit of the extra RAM. I'd hope the gap is closed in more recent models but not having much luck finding those tests :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711