Should I upgrade RAM, add drive or just buy new laptop?

peebok

Oct 16, 2017
Visit site
Hi all,
I'm a bit late to this technology so excuse my ignorance. I have a late 2011 MacBook Pro 15" with a 2.2 GHz Intel core i7 and 4GB memory. I really love this machine, it's served me well as a screenwriter, with only 1 glitch (the Intel graphics card which Apple repaired for me about a year ago). But the whole system is now heading south fast - it's struggling to run Sierra and the beachball is taking over my day's work. I'm worried the hard drive is on its way out. It's the worst timing as we've just bought a new house and maxed out the savings. What I need advice on is whether a new drive (a SSD?) or upgrading the memory would help or if I'm just throwing good money after bad. Everything is backed up but still... Thanks in advance for any advice.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
We bought a 2011 iMac a few months back. It seemd to run ok but a bit slow. I did some research and decided to swap out the hard drive with an SSD. I did that then restored from Time Machine. Turns out the iMac would also hold 16 gigs of ram so I upgraded that also. Now with the upgrades and High Sierra running I rarely see the beach ball anymore.

Hope this helps.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
My ‘09 MBP runs like a champ. Upgraded to 8gb of ram a few years ago. Just upgraded to a Samsung Evo SSD last month. Faster than new.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73