Hi guys,

Thanks for taking the time to read. I've been doing a lot of research into a new laptop. A bit about me: starting grad school next month while working full-time. I also write and record music. For these reasons, I'd like the machine to be both portable and powerful, hence my looking at a MBP instead of an air, MB standard, or building a PC as I've done for my brother before.

I had a macbook pro a few years back, but it was the baseline model and was getting quite slow after about 2 years (it was the previous year's model at the time of purchase). After a year or so, Logic was causing it to crash and the like, so I sold it for about half of what I paid new.

I've looked at all kinds of Windows alternatives, but I keep coming back to Apple because I know what to expect with it, and I know software will tend to play nice. Of course, the cost is what's the killer for me, as looking at a MBP with the i7 and 16gb of ram is clocking in at about $1900. I'm not as worried about hard drive space as I store a lot on Google Drive, and I do have an external from my prior MBP.

I guess I'm just looking for advice on how "futureproof" something like this might be. If I'm looking at $2,000, I'd like to get 4 or 5 years out of it at least. I'm not really concerned about having the latest and greatest every year. As long as my machine works, I'm good.

Thanks for any and all opinions!
    08-20-2017 02:53 PM
    Welcome to iMore.

The MBP you're considering will be able to last you 4-5 years. I have a 2010 that is still working like a charm and the only thing I did was replace the hard drive with an SSD drive when it got tired. Rest assured you're planning on getting a great machine. Thanks.
    08-20-2017 03:10 PM
    Hi guys,

Thanks for taking the time to read. I've been doing a lot of research into a new laptop. A bit about me: starting grad school next month while working full-time. I also write and record music. For these reasons, I'd like the machine to be both portable and powerful, hence my looking at a MBP instead of an air, MB standard, or building a PC as I've done for my brother before.

I had a macbook pro a few years back, but it was the baseline model and was getting quite slow after about 2 years (it was the previous year's model at the time of purchase). After a year or so, Logic was causing it to crash and the like, so I sold it for about half of what I paid new.

I've looked at all kinds of Windows alternatives, but I keep coming back to Apple because I know what to expect with it, and I know software will tend to play nice. Of course, the cost is what's the killer for me, as looking at a MBP with the i7 and 16gb of ram is clocking in at about $1900. I'm not as worried about hard drive space as I store a lot on Google Drive, and I do have an external from my prior MBP.

I guess I'm just looking for advice on how "futureproof" something like this might be. If I'm looking at $2,000, I'd like to get 4 or 5 years out of it at least. I'm not really concerned about having the latest and greatest every year. As long as my machine works, I'm good.

Thanks for any and all opinions!
    With the machine you mentioned, that should give you 5 years of computing life easily, in my opinion. 8 gigs of RAM and the i5 processor is enough for the typical user so the one you’re considering should be more than enough.
    08-20-2017 03:13 PM